What bars ya running

Ian C

357 on 18"

575 0n 20" , 25" and 28"

441 on 20" and 25"

The 575 is very good with the 28" effectively doing the job of a 660.

I must get a 660 some time but at the moment for really .big stuff I borrow a 3120 with 36".

I tend to fell with a 25", then drop down a bar size for limbing before going back to a 25" bar to block up.

sprockets=gearing

8pin sprocket=more chain speed/less torque

7pin sprocket=more torque/less chainspeed

7 pin is standard on most saws across the board... you might find a 6pin on some small saws (jap tophandles etc)

8 pin is only really an option on big saws running short bars... otherwise youre shooting yourself in the foot.

9/10 pin sprockets are available,but are rare and mostly used by racers

i knew really,just testing ya :sneaky2:

I've got a husq 357XP and a combination of 15" bar and .325 pitch chain and it's loverley!! wanna try it with an 8 tooth sprocket too - recon it could be pretty good combo given the finer chain pitch.

Edited by Sambo

I tend to fell with a 25", then drop down a bar size for limbing before going back to a 25" bar to block up.

Must be a bit of a pain in the bum changing out bars/chains all the time? what about using a smaller saw for limbing and leave the big gun set up?

I use 25in(GB) on the 044 which is pretty good for felling(mostly oak/ash)had no problem(but with solid nose) and is my fav at the mo, a 15(husky) on the 365 for limbing I just love the 365 ,and not forgeting the good 14in on my ms200.This is my normal gear which I use the most.I have also a 2154 with a 20 which is not a bad compo and a 3120 with a 36 which is never used as I was trained in the art of small saw cutting but I'm not going to "bore" you with that