What to do about hole in tree

Gulfcoasttoad

Question

We have recently moved in, and a large chunk of concrete has fallen out of the tree in our front yard (in Texas). A quick web search revealed that the concrete method was a bad idea in the first place, but this was probably done 20 years ago by the previous homeowner. There is still some concrete left. Should I leave it or remove it? What should I do with the remaining cavity? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331735413.538882.jpg.93935ecc87f8f1d9affbc16b2619d3be.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331735400.226851.jpg.5e548e748d69f0e947a3a0e3b73064b5.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331735388.799686.jpg.458bdec22c70a840e4f7b55451fac4d7.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331735372.117549.jpg.edd9cd803a22b278029ff4a1c8efeeb3.jpg

• Answers 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hmm, quite an extensive cavity! I can't tell what the species is, and am based in UK so don't know how it would respond over in Texas, or what usa best practice is. That said, I would if possible without causing further damage to the tree remove the remaining concrete. Also bearing in mind the proximity to the house, if you want to retain the tree consider a hefty reduction (species dependant) to lessen the leverage on the trunk. Or, if the species will tolerate it, consider a pollard; which would need recutting every few years.

As others have sugested, a light reduction would ensure this is good for a fair while probably a decade before one needs to reconsider the options.

The cavity isnt that bad, in fact I would say its faired pretty well considering the length of time the cavity has been present.

looking at the wound wood ribs occluding the cavity edges I might suggest the cavity is less than 20 years?

its certainly possible to retain, and adds a lot to your property.

My suggestion would be to plant a replacement now close by, have this one reduced somewhat and in ten years time when the new tree is well established youll have more options

As others have sugested, a light reduction would ensure this is good for a fair while probably a decade before one needs to reconsider the options.

The cavity isnt that bad, in fact I would say its faired pretty well considering the length of time the cavity has been present.

looking at the wound wood ribs occluding the cavity edges I might suggest the cavity is less than 20 years?

its certainly possible to retain, and adds a lot to your property.

My suggestion would be to plant a replacement now close by, have this one reduced somewhat and in ten years time when the new tree is well established youll have more options

Sound advice:thumbup:

Hi All

Don't you think people are being a bit irresponsible to offer advice on the extent of the decay and level of hazard when all there is to go on is a few photos from on side of the tree.

It may well be that the cavity is within recognised safety limits, but without seeing the tree and having a proper examination we can't tell with any certainty.

No one has suggested getting the tree examined by an experienced arborist - given the proximity to the target I would have thought that may be a sensible idea.

Callum