Refused fuel because combi can is not GREEN!!

Sciadopitys

On the white plastic ones it is a max of 5Ltrs in each can to a max of 20Ltrs and should have a Red Triangle label showing Petrol/UN1203.

My can did have a red triangle with UN1203 on it, and a flammable symbol of a flame! But no English writing. The guy had clearly not had any off the Mrs. for a while and was taking it out on me!

I intend to print off Mr. Collins extensive essay and make a point of making his petrol station my regular stop - next time he opens his mouth i will simply present him with it! I will even politely offer to translate it to whatever language he can comprehend, as English is clearly not one of them! Google translate on the iphone at the ready!! ;-)

Or i could just fill my cans up elsewhere! I will print off that info though incase it ever happens again! Cheers Andy!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes it a nightmare is the petrolium officer used to be from the fire service which ment one set of rules this changed a few years ago in many counties as the local council have taken over this role and each seems to have their own set of rules.

only had a problem once

local morrisons garage where we spend ALOT on fuel (approx £3/400 per week)

filled the red jerry can with unleaded, then the two stihl combi cans, then £100 worth of diesel in the truck.

went in to pay and was given a right bollocking by the twelve year old behind the counter, apparently its morrisons policy that you're only allowed to fill two cans at once.

not in the best of moods after a public bollocking, i asked said 12 year old if i could bring two 45 gallon drums

"bring what you want, as long as there's only two of em" :lol:

I thought you couldnt buy or sell fuel if you were under 16:sneaky2:

my local bp garage won't let me fill 2 metal 5 gallon jeri cans at one time. some times i get away with it if they cant see what i am filling. one time they came out and told me i can only fill one can so after voicing my opinoin payed for the can of petrol, drove out of the petrol station came straight back in and filled the other can.

I filled up my can and stump grinder the other day and then realised I'd left my wallet at home :blushing:

They were really nice about it, they would not take a card payment over the phone or allow me to make an online payment or a cheque, but I just filled in a form and agreed to call in and pay before the end of the week.

stick the cans in the back of your van and they don't say a word

If you overfill though you are driving in a fug of fumes which makes you feel a bit off.

tesco don't seem to care if they don't see the cans.

we regularly fill 8 or more this way plus fill up the ride on by climbing on the back of the truck

What a messed up system

Once got told to put 5L can on floor to fill by LAD in garage then remembered my little chipper was low so went to fill that up and LAD piped up you can't fill that up on the fore court, I put the nozzel in the tank nothing. Went in and said were the boss he called him. Morning Paul whats the problem he said, looking at the LAD and said him, you can work the rest out.

The UK Dept of Transport Regulations state:

Diesel: Diesel carried by private individuals is not regulated as regards how

much may be carried and how. Anyone contemplating carrying diesel in a

vehicle should bear in mind the potential for fire and the likelihood of spillage

from inadequate containment.

Petrol: Regulations made under the Petroleum (Consolidation) Act 1928 control

the quantities of petrol permitted to be kept in containers for private use. This

limit also applies to carriage. A maximum of two metal containers each up to 10

litres capacity, plus a maximum of two suitable and appropriately-marked plastic

containers each up to five litres capacity, can be kept in a motor vehicle.

This sounds like the legislation that was quoted to me recently.

Out of interest, if its a 24 hour pump, un-manned at night, pay by chip and pin, I think you can fill up pretty much anything - coffee jars, paper bags, you name it! Not sure how this fits with not being allowed to fill a can because its the wrong colour or language???? :confused1:

Just to be clear, I'm not reccomending this, it just seems to fly in the face of the over zealous enforcement of rules.

Went to a Morrisons today to fill up the transit , a guy came out to look and went back inside. I went to pay for the £90 of diesel and they asked how many cans id filled up , i said none just the van . They thought id been filling cans ? Anyway they have been told by the local council only to allow customers to fill a max of 5 litres of fuel in a can unless you have a permit or license from the local council, which will no doubt cost money! So i asked them if they thought id been filling cans why had they just let me fill up £90 worth, to which they replied they couldnt of sold it to me as i had no permit and i would of had to leave the cans there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would then tell them if they want the cans they are £40 each :001_tt2:

Never had a problem filling any cans I fill up 3 10ltr petrol in one go then fill up a 20ltr diesel then the chipper then the transit in a tesco's.