Trailer towing:- B and B+E licence rules explained

ROG.

Very very helpful and clear!

With so many tree surgeons being young (and therefore not having the old gits license like me) its great to have confirmation that they can tow sub 750Kg chippers with the transit.

Thanks again

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rog

As others have said, good threads.

I have a simple question of economics and the test.

I have been towing trailers since I started driving tractors as a child, trailer handling is fine.

I was one of those who unfortunately passed the test in the first year of B only entitlement, when the rules were still not fully understood, and as such I was sent all over the country by my then employers with trailers which, with hindsight and subsequently acquired knowlede, were far beyond that which I was legal to tow.

I have a good deal of experience then at real world trailer handling, but I'd like to know how much of the test is actually down to pulling the trailer? I'm reluctant to go on a course to learn something I learned by doing many years ago just because some cretins in Brussels decided that cretins who crash caravans need a license [although I'm pretty sure those who need the test the most actually escaped it...]

Question is, would I be wildly cavalier to book in for a test without any training in how to pass it, or is the test really as straight forward as I'm told it is by those who have done it...? Does anyone know of a video on the web which follows a test so I can see whether it's a genuinely effective way of weeding out the dangerous or just a massive load of cash generating tosh..?

Sorry, the lack of B+E on my license is one of the things which p***** me off more than anything else....!

I wouldn't recommend it, the test is reasonably demanding and an instructor will give you lots of tips, without which I don't think I would have passed first time.

A couple of hours tuition will cost about the same as a test anyway.

Worth it just so you are familiar with the test format, especially the stuff in the yard, and what they are looking for.

For instance the reversing manouver is pretty easy, but they want you to finish with the end of the trailer in a 2 foot long box, without nudging the end barrier. A good instructor will show you how to do this without leaving the drivers seat.

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER

In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.

They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -

The supervising driver must be aged over 21

The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years

L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer

Correct insurance for a B+E learner

Many will find that passing the once in a lifetime B+E test is their best option so here is some info on that test:-

The B+E test

No medical or theory test required

Read a number plate from a certain distance

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqw6Ua3kmFc&feature=related]VIDEO - Show Me Tell Me Questions[/ame] - usually 5

The next three can be in any order:-

VIDEO - Reversing Exercise - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao_5KOe8dGg&feature=related]VIDEO - Uncouple/couple up[/ame] - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds

One hour road drive - includes the independent drive and is done virtually the same as the basic car test

DISCLAIMER - I have no connection to any companies which may be featured in those videos

This is interesting – a B licence towing set up can be presented for the B+E test but L plates must be used for the test. So you can train yourself, go to test by yourself, fit L plates, do the test, then, pass or fail, remove L plates and drive away by yourself.

DSA B+E TEST AND VEHICLE/TRAILER REQUIREMENTS

• 3 months later...