Trailer towing:- B and B+E licence rules explained

ROG.

Most might know this but for those that don't ...

All B only licence holders have the B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence

That means if they have a supervising driver who has had B+E for at least 3 years and is age over 21 along with L plates and correct B+E learner insurance, they can drive it as a B+E provisional driver

A pre 1997 B+E licence holder who got it free with their B test can legally supervise

No motorway restrictions

Fully loaded is ok

If they go for the B+E test then no theory test required - no medical - just a quick read of a number plate, reverse, un/couple and road tests along with a few basic vehicle safety questions

The B+E when passed will be valid for as long as their B licence is valid so basically for life

Costs and course lengths do vary across the UK.

In my area many do 3 half days with test on day 3 for an all inclusive price of £650 - that would be for a first time pass ..... most seem to manage that

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most might know this but for those that don't ...

All B only licence holders have the B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence

That means if they have a supervising driver who has had B+E for at least 3 years and is age over 21 along with L plates and correct B+E learner insurance, they can drive it as a B+E provisional driver

A pre 1997 B+E licence holder who got it free with their B test can legally supervise

No motorway restrictions

Fully loaded is ok

If they go for the B+E test then no theory test required - no medical - just a quick read of a number plate, reverse, un/couple and road tests along with a few basic vehicle safety questions

The B+E when passed will be valid for as long as their B licence is valid so basically for life

Costs and course lengths do vary across the UK.

In my area many do 3 half days with test on day 3 for an all inclusive price of £650 - that would be for a first time pass ..... most seem to manage that

We didn’t get it free, we were entitled to it, the government removed that entitlement for the rest of you

We didn’t get it free, we were entitled to it, the government removed that entitlement for the rest of you

From my research only the UK used to give the extra entitlements and that changed when we came under EU parliament rules

• 2 months later...

Have spent the last few days reading threads about kit, looking for trucks, and threads regarding the law on towing.

I really don't want top come across as being thick, but would like some advice.

I have a '98 full UK license. As it is after the '97 cut-off, I am restricted to Cat B and B1.

The question I have is this:

Main Vehicle (3.5 Ton) + Trailer (750kg) = 4250kg (approx)

Is this allowed?

"Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM."

Towing trailers or caravans with vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes : Directgov - Motoring

I have emailed the DVLA, but don't expect a reply for a while!!

Just to add, when I was working in the late 90's and early 2000's I only drove the works LDV and Transit. The chipper was towed behind the 7.5 tonner.

Now I've going alone, I will need to tow both.

Thank you:001_smile:

Edited by KingoftheRing

You are correct about your current entitlement, transit size and chipper not more than 750kg

If you want to go to a 7500kg truck you will need to gain that category but you will still be restricted to the 750kg towing weight, if you,want to tow a chipper over 750kg with a vehicle of 75000kg you will need to gain yet another category.

You are correct about your current entitlement, transit size and chipper not more than 750kg

If you want to go to a 7500kg truck you will need to gain that category but you will still be restricted to the 750kg towing weight, if you,want to tow a chipper over 750kg with a vehicle of 75000kg you will need to gain yet another category.

I love typos :lol: 75 tonnes !!

Seriously - the licences to be gained would be LGV C1 and then C1+E for a 7.5 tonner plus trailer over 750 kgs

As LGV C and CE cover those above and virtually cost the same to get then go for those

Gaining any +E will also give you B+E for life

Cost to go from B to CE - have £3K to hand

I don't want to drive a 7.5 tonner. Way to big for me. I'll probably only be trimming hedges and mowing lawns for a while!!!

The biggest vehicle I will get will be a 3.5ton + towing 750kg (max)

If that is fine on a post '97 license, then I am good to go (once I buy a vehicle).

Just wanted to check my legalities.

Cheers for the replies. :001_smile:

The biggest vehicle I will get will be a 3.5ton + towing 750kg (max)

If that is fine on a post '97 license, then I am good to go

100% legal on a B only licence in general

I say general because the maximum trailer plated MAM cannot be over 750 kgs and any unbraked trailer must not be more than half of the vehicle kerbweight

That last bit catches a few out because it is not widely publicised

A vehicle with a kerb weight of 1400 can only tow a max MAM unbraked trailer of 700 kgs for example