What petrol strimmers are you using, & any pros/cons?

Big G

As title says, im looking to purchase new strimmers so thought i would ask the opinion of you guys.

Ive been using a stihl fs400 for past few years and has lasted well, but taking on staff so looking to spend a bit more on equipment.

All views greatly appreciated:thumbup:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A "strimmer" is a brand name of Black and Decker- a bit like calling a vacuum cleaner a "Hoover".

Presumably you are looking for something more than a cheap and cheerful electric thing from Black and Decker?

An FS400 is called a clearing saw- used mainly with a metal blade and as the name suggests is used for clearing large overgrown areas.

A curved shaft machine is reffered to as a grass trimmer.

A lighter duty clearing saw with a straight shaft that is predominantly used with a nylon line head for heavy grass, but has the option to fit a metal blade for brambles, nettles etc is referred to as a brush cutter.

What are you looking for?

Edited by pleasant

Here in the States the common names include line trimmers. The brands I have usedinclude: Robin, Tanaka, Shindaiwa, "now echo more than less". 25 t0 30CC engine size mainly 2 Cycle. Of the 3 brands I like the Shindaiwa the best from a reliability standpoint and best bang for the $$$. Second place would be Tanaka, and Third would be Robin, all for the same reasons more or less. Also to note, only ever own a Straight shaft line trimmer or strimmer, never a bent shaft.

easy-lift guy

Edited by easy-lift guy
addition opinion of type equip to choose.

I know what you ment ! Anyways I use a Husqvarna 45cc brush cutter . It will take a bramble blade no worries . Mostly I use it with an oregon head which will take up to 4mm dia line . This is the real tough stuff . You cut the line to about a foot long ( 2 lengths) and insert it through the head and pull back slightly to lock . When it is worn away (usually when it revs to much ) just grab the tail that you let poke through and pull it strat out in the same direction you pushed it in , then reload . This husqvarna is the best IMO . There is an even bigger 55cc one but that is a bit more wieght .

Echo all the way. I thought Stihl was the best but I didn't know what I was missing! I've a cow-horn handled big one and a loop handled little one, both maybe six years old and discontinued. Incredibly reliable, lowest vibration of any make (when I bought them anyway) and the smaller one has a pleasant tone compared with the screamer it replaced. Smaller one's finally dying now but it doesn't owe me a penny.

At work we run the "standard" 40cc Japenese strimmers, unfortunately had endless trouble with them, then switched to Husky, and despite the very good head, trouble with them too, split fuel tanks etc.

Then switched to Sihl, FS250 model, about 10 years ago, I no longer know strimmers exist any more, they have simply been so reliable.

They simply go on and on and on and on and on etc etc etc

Makita 4-stroke. So far, very reliable and pleasant to use. It's pretty quiet, with a low engine note as the revs are lower (i.e. no screaming) and it seems to go a very long way on a tank. Can fit a brushcutter blade or a nylon line strimming head.

Alec