Environmental Permits from Env. Agency for carrying waste

hesslemount

As a tree surgeon taking logs and chippings from a job and transporting the chippings to a school (play areas) and logs to either myself or whomever wants them; do I require an Environmental Permit from the Env. Agency to carry waste?

http://www.netregs.gov.uk/netregs/275207/1991727/1991805/?version=1〈=_e

As I see it the answer's a (grey area) no as "waste exemptions include crushing, grinding or other size reduction of waste". I am chipping and I am reducing the size of the waste therefore according to EA's website I am exempt from requiring an Environment Permit (otherwise known as waste carrying licence).

Does anyone have concrete facts on this?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i caller the them up, told them what i did and they said yes you need one, got one for 150 quid for 3 years aint worth the hassel or a fine to be honest.

my thoughts exactly mate, vosa hold 3x 2 day roadside inspections at end of our farm drive so there no way i can get away with it and they real hot on carriers licenses in this area

my thoughts exactly mate, vosa hold 3x 2 day roadside inspections at end of our farm drive so there no way i can get away with it and they real hot on carriers licenses in this area

What you need to watch out for aswell is that it's not only VOSA that do the inspections, the police have taken on the role too, so they stop ya check ya truck over and then get you on the carriers licience:sneaky2:

The environmental permit (EP) is the new name for the old waste management license. The waste carrier license is a different thing. You need the waste carriers license to carry commercial waste and the environmental permit to process it (ala scrapyard, composting setup etc).

Cost in relation to hassle ratio its a no brainer, the licence is so easy to get (providing you are doing things properly) and only £50.00 year - compared to getting pulled and fined theres only one option for me.

Its also a requirement for Arb Approval......how many on here are arb approved, have you found it a benefit??