Alder Coppicing

The traditional time to coppice trees is when the leaves are off and the sap is down.

Roughly speaking Nov-Feb. You can coppice at other times of the year but it will be more disruptive to birds / wildlife. The timber you get will also be wetter because of the sap. The only time you must not coppice is late in the summer Aug-Sep. If you do the new growth can be nipped off by the frost and killed.

Spring is always weeks behind up in Northumberland, so if the tree are not budding yet do you think it will it be ok?

even if I start and do about 10 to 20 trees then at least some of them can start to dry out over the summer, will people buy the timber while it is still wet?

If you are felling over the next few weeks you should be ok but I would not fell any later than that.

I have some Alder in the woodshed that was felled last summer and it is a long way off being ready to burn. I reckon another 6-12 months.

If you are selling to domestic customers they will expect seasoned wood ready to burn and will not be happy with wet logs. If you want to sell bulk cordwood then yes people will buy it off you wet but will expect it to be roadside with access for an artic to pick it up.

cordwood - basically trunks cut to a specific length (10'+) but not split. Commercial customers buy cordwood - usually by the lorry load - which they then season / cut and split to sell to domestic customers.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/40676-images-26-ton-cordwood.html?highlight=images

Edited by Ty Unnos