Could Ebay change tree work as we LOVE it.

HuskyDaz

You may have to bear with me on this as it may sound or seem long winded but it is something i have pondered over for a while. I am proud of the hard work and training I have put in to get where I am today and Im proud of the fact that I am able to purchase a Stihl ms200t (or similar Haha) climbing saw because of my tickets. But it seems that every single day a generic online auction site has yet another tophandled saw up for grabs to any tom, dick or for that matter harry. These saws are regularly seen advertised as "designed for one handed use, very rare , etc etc" which would make them seem like quite the buisness. But it got me thinking about the reasons we have to be trained to be able to buy them and the fact that HSE must have something to with that. It also got me thinking that the more people who sell top handled saws second hand, the more "NUMPTYS" out there will own them , the more potential accidents there will be, so hence the more dangerous this specific tool of our trade will appear to governing bodys etc. So it may come a time when they will not manufacture top handled saws or not even let us climb to do the job we love. I know this is far fetched and probably ridiculous but it was on view i had on MS200t's being sold on ebay. Anyone got any others???

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what do you do with your old saws when you replace them? Sell them on? Where? Who too? Ebay is a good place to sell stuff. If someone wants to buy a cheap saw, they can go to a local DIY store and purchase one, no advice, no safety wear, sold to them by an acne infested youth who couldnt care less, cos he's watching that bird walk past his till. At least on Ebay you can ADVISE people when you are selling an item, and its up to them if they choose to heed your advice.

I know this is far fetched and probably ridiculous but it was on view i had on MS200t's being sold on ebay. Anyone got any others???

Ms200Ts are too dangerous for inexperienced members of the public to be using....most sensible people realise this.

The kind of untrained subnuts that buy powerful chainsaws will always exist, and are a reminder to the rest of us just how stupid humans can be.

They are a great example to show your kids, 'Look son, see that man over there on the old shakey ladder with the chainsaw above his head, he's an idiot'........'oh, right...thanks for telling me that dad'

this is of the ebay.com chainsaw buyers guide

"Top handle saws are light and run short bars. They are designed primarily for cutting small limbs and branches, sometimes called limbing saws or arborist saws. They are suitable for cutting limbs, branches and small diameter trees (generally nothing over an 8" diameter)."

I think this is the kind of thing that gives people the wrong idea of what to buy,

i have to say some of the ways ive seen chainsaws run on farms etc, makes me think there is the potential need to restrict sales to trained individuals, even if it was just a mornings training when you buy the saw, much like now happens with new (reputable) ATV companies.

That should apply to Alaskan Mills as well, they're lethal in the wrong hands.

am i doing something thats a big no no:thumbsdown: in my picture? I am aware that siting on the trunk im milling wasnt a good idea, i wouldnt normally be working like that.

I have to agree that I think training is vital when using powerful equipment, the worst thing i have seen was a guy last winter one handing a mid sized husky above his head letting the saw cut through the branch then swinging the saw downwards as it cut through, wearing old school farmer spec ppe, (flat cap and glasses, i couldnt see if they had chainsaw protection)

I know that anyone can buy a chainsaw but i was specifically talking bout Top handled saws. I was merely babbling a load of rubbish that was going through my head at the time, haha. It just got to me when i saw an advert on ebay saying "one handed chainsaw, very rare, designed to be used up a tree while holding on with the other hand, try doing this with a normal saw and risk chopping your leg off", I couldnt believe it. Im running 2x 2003 MS200t's and an older 020t as back up. I nearly bought a 2005 model off ebay but then Im choosy about who I hand my money over to. haha. I thought that Stihl dealerships had to log your certificate number when you bought a tophandle saw???

I raised the point with Stihl over ebay selling new top handled saws

Apparently it is not illegal to buy a top handled saw

without a certificate ( which makes sense as some companys buy through a procurement or buyer dept )

It is however illegal to use a top handled saw in the work place without certification, its also illegal to use on the ground, due to kickback implications