Sky Engineers ?

White Noise

Its just Sky's compliance with the Work at Height 2005 Regs - after all, in 2004/5, something like 17 people died falling from ladders!

We have a similar system for use in the FC although its much easier to secure a ladder to a tree than it is to a house.

I've fallen 25' from a ladder before (due to my own stupidity!), if theres anything I can do now to stop that happening again... I'll do it!

Aren't ladders the biggest cause of accidents?

Idiots are the biggest cause of accidents.

In the "good old days", idiots were allowed to kill or injure themselves without hindrance, so there were fewer surviving idiots. Now idiots are protected with the result that they are breeding uncontrollably and we are becoming overwhelmed by them.

I watched as a Sky TV Engineer pulled up next to this mornings job . He put on his harness , hard hat and goggles . Then removed the ladders from the ladder rack and fixed his safety line to them . He then placed the ladders against the wall and proceeded to drill a fixing to the wall so he could attach a ratchet system from the ladders to the wall . So the ladder would not slip away from him .When all this was done he clipped into his safety line and advanced all the way up the ladders to the final working height of 13ft . Has the world gone mad ? Red tape or just company protocol ? Oh after all that he was done up the ladder in under 5 mins :confused1:

No disrespect intended to anyone . Just seems all a tad OTT .

A lad I've known all my life fits sky, if they go more than 4 rungs up, it's full fall arrest job, instant sacking if they don't and they get caught!

He says he feels a right berk and gets some funny looks off customers but it's sky policy. It's not a bad job tho, he comes out with £2300 in his hand a month and gets a van, 750 personal miles a month free usage too.

Idiots are the biggest cause of accidents.

In the "good old days", idiots were allowed to kill or injure themselves without hindrance, so there were fewer surviving idiots. Now idiots are protected with the result that they are breeding uncontrollably and we are becoming overwhelmed by them.

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

A lad I've known all my life fits sky, if they go more than 4 rungs up, it's full fall arrest job, instant sacking if they don't and they get caught!

He says he feels a right berk and gets some funny looks off customers but it's sky policy. It's not a bad job tho, he comes out with £2300 in his hand a month and gets a van, 750 personal miles a month free usage too.

When you put it like that it sounds great :001_smile:

I dont doubt this story one bit...but, i has sky fitted recently and the guy did none of this. He wizzed up his ladder, good 25ft in a safe but normal manner, no harnesses etc. Was a real sound chap, I think there is a difference in the sky employed engineers and subbies sky use.

That said, he was telling me about working fdor sky and sounds good, free tv, van, personal mileage, loads of training, clothing, flexi hrs etc :)