Afternoon all,

Im looking at purchasing some new map based data collection software and GPS logging hardware. Wondering if anyone has experiences good or bad of what is out there. Im a consultancy outfit so it is simply accurate data capture that I need, no budgeting or Customer management bits required.

The hardware, I have already made a decision on but as yet undecided on software.. Depends on price, adaptability, ease of use, continual development etc.

PocketGIS is an option.

The standard Ezytreev, Arbortrack are a little more than I need for the work I do.

Many thanks

From what I have seen and heard - the Digiterra solution is hard to beat for flexibility etc (that's why we wrote an import routine for it to Eye-TREE)

Once captured you can then save it out to Arc View, KeyTREE, Eye-TREE etc if necessary.

What level of accuracy do you require? More accurate GPS costs more money - needless to say!!

Talk to Digiterra direct not Mr Shandley. Why do you need sub-metre accuracy? Hell of a jump in price for that. If it's a large site then the client will have already provided a Topo?

I think Dave is the only UK provider of Digiterra now.

The only alternative is phone calls to Hungary!

I use Digiterra with a MMCX or a MM100. The MM100 is a far superior machine for the relatively small difference in price.

As PhilBeech says - if you already have a topo then you don't need an expensive sub-metre PDA...fine if you are doing development site surveys with topos. However, if you are doing other surveys for clients without maps it is well worth having an accurate GPS - especially if you export in to Google Earth as in inaccuracies are pretty obvious on aerial imagery!

I think Dave is the only UK provider of Digiterra now.

The only alternative is phone calls to Hungary!

I use Digiterra with a MMCX or a MM100. The MM100 is a far superior machine for the relatively small difference in price.

As PhilBeech says - if you already have a topo then you don't need an expensive sub-metre PDA...fine if you are doing development site surveys with topos. However, if you are doing other surveys for clients without maps it is well worth having an accurate GPS - especially if you export in to Google Earth as in inaccuracies are pretty obvious on aerial imagery!

Agreed, unless it's a woodland though you can easily alter the recorded position rather than use the GPS. Most sites have enough features to make this achievable.

In terms of accuracy just consider whether you need to pay the £2k+ more for sub-metre accuracy when the thing you're measuring is,well, as big as a tree. I've tried handsets from £3.5k to £500 and the most expensive one couldn't cope with tree crowns and was essentially unusable.

They're all pretty crap,to be honest. The sooner the handset manufacturers start ditching Windows mobile and get onto Android the better (this is starting to happen now).