An expert team at work

cousin jack

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of things to clear up first . ' Difflock ' those are fly masks . Did you see the amount of mozzies/midgies in the film ? It would have been cruel for a horse NOT to wear them in that wood. ' Parker ' at 2.45 that is what separates a horse that pulls wood and a professional logging horse . ( that was my favourite bit ) . A horse cant be forced into doing that , this is teamwork based on trust.

The horses had massive tricep muscles , really impressive.

The icing on the cake was them being so evenly paired in size and colour, perfection.

Best arbtalk moment for me by a country mile....Thanks very much for the post :001_smile:

Couple of things to clear up first . ' Difflock ' those are fly masks . Did you see the amount of mozzies/midgies in the film ? It would have been cruel for a horse NOT to wear them in that wood. ' Parker ' at 2.45 that is what separates a horse that pulls wood and a professional logging horse . ( that was my favourite bit ) . A horse cant be forced into doing that , this is teamwork based on trust.

The horses had massive tricep muscles , really impressive.

The icing on the cake was them being so evenly paired in size and colour, perfection.

Best arbtalk moment for me by a country mile....Thanks very much for the post :001_smile:

Ah, I see what Difflock meant now, I did'nt realise he meant the fly masks, I have just been watching another of his vid's where they are blinkered, so thought he meant those. Nice answer to the questions.

OK OK,

Dinny misunderstand, I looked & looked &, looked, it simply looked that the horses heads & eyes were covered with cloth, and I could not See (tee hee) if they could see? or not, if you see what I meant?

PS

I bes aware what blinkers are, & for why.

Cheers

M

Yep, they have a very fine mesh, i'll bet Nova Scotia, (where this guy is based), is a bar steward for mosquitoes in the summer months.

That was really interesting, looked like the knew exactly what they were doing.

I noticed at one point he got the horses to revers the boggy over the log, is getting horses to revers a boggy or cart very difficult.

My grandfather worked horses on their farm as a boy, my father says he could revers the horse drawn hay wagon into the barn, my dad always said this was quite a feat.

That was really interesting, looked like the knew exactly what they were doing.

I noticed at one point he got the horses to revers the boggy over the log, is getting horses to revers a boggy or cart very difficult.

My grandfather worked horses on their farm as a boy, my father says he could revers the horse drawn hay wagon into the barn, my dad always said this was quite a feat.

Getting them to back is a feature of a horse's training, and with horses as experienced as those it would be easy. It will be easy with the arch that he was using as the attachment that the horses were chained to was a straight shaft (the pole) that ran from the center of the frame. As this is rigid it is quite easy to back. Bit like a car.

Your Grandfather would have had a more difficult job as I expect a hay wagon was 4 wheeled with the front axle on a turntable and backing it would have been more exacting. Keeping a wagon straight whilst backing on a turntable was/is quite a feat.

Bingo

re the reversing into the Barn answer

Ps

My father ( an owner operator:biggrin: working horseman for years) maintained that the best reversing he had ever (routinely) witnessed was Bobby Greer reversing the Traction engine, with the Boyds threashing Mill behind......with the Jones baler hooked on the back forby, forby.

Try getting ones head round those permutations.

Getting well off topic I appreciate:thumbup:

Bingo

re the reversing into the Barn answer

Ps

My father ( an owner operator:biggrin: working horseman for years) maintained that the best reversing he had ever (routinely) witnessed was Bobby Greer reversing the Traction engine, with the Boyds threashing Mill behind......with the Jones baler hooked on the back forby, forby.

Try getting ones head round those permutations.

Getting well off topic I appreciate:thumbup:

That would take some doing, beyond me for certain sure!

Did'nt they used to work round the reservoir, shame they don't still have them there, I would be up there tomorrow. I'm told the chap who used to run the horse loggers did a runner with a lot of money, and it seems FC have never used them again.

My uncle still works with Horses in kielder Danny MacNeil. And my dad Duncan MacNeil.