New mower

Derek Trimblits

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only good lawnflite machine is the Pro, because its not made by lawnflite but by KAZ. Its basically the same as the old Honda HR series which were made for Honda by KAZ, prior to them bringing out their own plastic deck machines. It now has a Kawasaki engine.

But for less money you could have a John Deere, just as good but with better collection, brilliant in long or damp grass. With B&S or Kawasaki depending on the model. These are the highly respected SABO mowers, JD now own SABO.

The only good lawnflite machine is the Pro, because its not made by lawnflite but by KAZ. Its basically the same as the old Honda HR series which were made for Honda by KAZ, prior to them bringing out their own plastic deck machines. It now has a Kawasaki engine.

But for less money you could have a John Deere, just as good but with better collection, brilliant in long or damp grass. With B&S or Kawasaki depending on the model. These are the highly respected SABO mowers, JD now own SABO.

Totally agree - should have clarified. I've had the Kaaz (actuallly badged as a Kaaz too which seems rare) 21" rear roller pro with from guard, handle stays etc and it's a great mower. Prefer Kawasaki mine has gx160

Briggs and Stratton Quantum engines and the new Dove engine are in my opinion very good engines, far superior to Honda GCV engines ( the GX engines are brilliant but seldom seen on mowers these days. Some mowers, such as JD sport the Kawasaki motor which is fantastic.

But, all these engines benefit from an oil change around every 50 hrs, which can be every couple of weeks in peak season for commercial users. They should all give good service if the get this oil change, but very few get looked after properly. They then let their owners down.

A good, lightweight, economy mower is the AL-KO. To me its just another steel deck machine, although better built than most, but my pro gardener customers think they are marvellous. Good durabilty and excellent collection.

Couldn't agree more. 99% of premature failures I see on commercially used machines are through pilot error, abuse and poor maintenance, and I think some of the earlier comments on here reinforce that and then the operators blame the machine.

The other category of failure is due to a pro user not having a realistic budget for a mower and buying a cheaper machine that is designated for the domestic market. You simply cannot buy a commercially designated machine for under £1000 now that is of any good. Often have tightwads coming in to buy a machine for three of four hundred quid that's designed to do 1 hours work a week for 20 odd weeks of the year in a back garden, but fail on a regular basis (the Briggs classic/quattro/sprint engine fitted to entry level machines has a working life of around 100-120 hours) For a pro that could easily be 3 or 4 weeks use, but for th average joe in his back garden that is 5 years or so. It's no wonder that the things falling to bits after a month or so in a pro users hands.

Edited by pleasant
error

I've owned two Sabo mowers. Both roughcut types. One 2T and one 4T and I haven't managed to break either of them with wanton abuse.

Why PRO only ? The only difference i have noted on KAAZ and LAWNFLITE are bump bar at the front. Straps from the deck to the handles.:confused1:

They are the two main differences. The pro models also have cast alloy wheels for better durability, although I note all the models now have that feature.

A PRO designated model will also be eligible for a 12 month warranty irrelevant of how much work it has done- whereas the domestic machines used in a PRO environment will only have 90 days, if any at all.

Why PRO only ? The only difference i have noted on KAAZ and LAWNFLITE are bump bar at the front. Straps from the deck to the handles.:confused1:

Hi sorry I meant as oppose to the red lawnflite domestic mowers, not against the KAAZ or the other names they go under.