I'm an iggly, I'm an iggly, what iggly am I ?

David Humphries

3 minutes ago, daltontrees said:

Longhorn beetle?

Hi Jules

Yep pretty sure it is a longhorn but which one.  This larva was the smallest of 3 I found, at just over 6 cms so I reckon its a big one !  Oh yeah - its in France

Edited by ABtrees

• 2 months later...

Evening.  Back in France - had a couple of sickly looking Alders to drop this week  - dying / dead and the woodpecker had been having a go, so I expected the odd grub !  Splitting it out - absolutely infested with lime-green larvae  - max about an inch long (and a couple of bigger flatheads).  I am sure that some of you on here are far, far more knowledgeable than me so can anyone please tell me what they are ?

Thanks

As an aside I reckon the big grub (posted in August) is Ergates Faber - magnificent beetle - similar size to Stag but all beetle - none of that antler stuff !!!

20181021_170615.jpg

20181022_120750.jpg

20181021_164132.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just for interest, found a lot (40-50+) of these fellas in a windblown Alder (there's your clue !) that I was tidying up the other day.  Haven't seen them before and apparently they normally overwinter in the leaf litter not in the bark where these were.  About 7-8mm and a lovely shade of blue (the pic doesn't really do it justice).

The second pic is (I think) a Large Tortoiseshell trying to stay cool till it's time to wake up !

20190131_104301.jpg

20190204_114703.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 02/05/2018 at 06:37, ABtrees said:

OK I'm going to need some help with this one - possibly some kind of Alderfly or Dobson but can anyone narrow it down for me?  The body is about 6cm with antennae and twin 'tails' on top of that, wings laid more flat down the length of its body rather than more triangular either side. Thick sturdy legs.

20180430_145428.jpg

20180430_145445.jpg

sounds like my x.

53 minutes ago, Darrin Turnbull said:

Any ideas what made this in a birch tree top.

The tunnel in the wood is about 7-8mm in diameter.

4A22458D-6465-4771-A102-69AC777B780E.jpeg

54BAF17A-8EC2-42C2-8AAE-BD146CE071CF.jpeg

Don’t think it is but hoping it’s not the bronze birch borer.

Agrilus anxius 

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/Bronze-Birch-Borer-Contingency-plan.pdf/$FILE/Bronze-Birch-Borer-Contingency-plan.pdf

Not meant to be in Europe.....yet

Any D shaped exit holes ?

Just now, David Humphries said:

Don’t think it is but hoping it’s not the bronze birch borer.

Agrilis anxius 

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/Bronze-Birch-Borer-Contingency-plan.pdf/$FILE/Bronze-Birch-Borer-Contingency-plan.pdf

Not meant to be in Europe.....yet

Any D shaped exit holes ?

The only exit hole to be found was the one the woodpecker made .

2302CB54-678F-4EE5-9C0D-8747AA8C1E0E.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...