I'm an iggly, I'm an iggly, what iggly am I ?

David Humphries

11 hours ago, ABtrees said:

However I'm in a bit of a quandary : I believe in generally leaving things be and letting nature take it's course BUT today was 23 degrees - next Weds forecast is for 4 inches of snow followed by minus 8 !!!  I'm not sure they'll make it so thinking of kidnapping the whole lot for a few days and putting them back afterwards - what do you reckon ?

I've no idea to be honest. They've come through the winter ok and surely must be able to deal with this sort of weather?

But they came through the winter deeply asleep ; now they're awake and will need energy - food.

Personally I'd grab them and nurture them in a frost-free place and just keep my mouth shut about it.  -8C can't be good for any caterpillar that's awoken from hibernation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nepia said:

But they came through the winter deeply asleep ; now they're awake and will need energy - food.

Personally I'd grab them and nurture them in a frost-free place and just keep my mouth shut about it.  -8C can't be good for any caterpillar that's awoken from hibernation.

Yeah that was my main concern.  Mind you there's only so much one can (should) do - it's just I do like to see these and I'm trying to nurture as many different species as possible.  I am quietly convinced that last year we had two broods one v. early (April) and the other Sept ish.  But I can't find any records of this happening - even locally. 

My daughter has been spotting loads of newts in the last few days as well  (see pic below.).  They're pretty cool - but nothing on Mick's from last year !

IMG_2928.JPG

• Like 3

I know some people would consider taking the 'pillars as interfering with nature but Jesus we interfere with nature with every breath we take!  Interference and intervention don't have to be the same thing; help the little blighters out.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, nepia said:

I know some people would consider taking the 'pillars as interfering with nature but Jesus we interfere with nature with every breath we take!  Interference and intervention don't have to be the same thing; help the little blighters out.

Forecast now showing 'only' minus 6 for mon and tues night  then back to 18 this time next week - I think they'll be going 'on their holidays' this afternoon for a couple of days - back by the weekend !  As I said this particular butterfly is one of my favourites so anything I can do to help will probably get done - not too fussed about 'other people's rules' !!! 

• Like 3

TICK ALERT !  

Be warned - think Lyme's - always do a bug check after a day in the woods - and use a proper tool to remove them when found.

Anyone ever seen a scarlet coloured tick ?  If so please tell me what this is.  I know there are normally black and black and red ones but I've never seen one like this - any ideas or info pls. ?

20210409_145934.2.jpg

20210409_150205.2.jpg

9 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

I don't think that's a tick and see them about meself without knowing what they are. A quick search suggests Trombicula autumnalis / Harvest Mite / Chigger?

As for ticks, even here in the UK they seem to be about all year. Took one of our Lab in January.

That is exactly why this forum is so good - the level of knowledge on here is so useful.  Thank you Paul for the heads up on this - I think your ID is spot on Autumnalis it is.  I stand corrected. But from what I have just read these little critters aren't a barrel of laughs either !  Or rather their larvae aren't.  I've never seen (noticed) them before  - ever been ''bitten' ? Definitely another one to 'look out for'.

Ticks here (France) have a 'season' starting about now and going through till October - have always put it down to temperature and we are always that bit colder than the UK in the winter.  My daughters have already taken 3 or 4 off our 2 cats so we're back into our daily 'bug-check' routine now (that's on us not the cats).  Reckon I found 6 or 7 on me throughout last year - get them removed early - that's the key. So many deer around atm - that's the problem.   Thanks again Paul

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2021 at 08:38, nepia said:

Update : Why do things never quite turn out as planned ?!!!  The caterpillars went on their hols as suggested and boy do they like plantain !  So 'my friend' put them in the aquarium kept them fed and watered and made a nice gauze lid for it - everyone happy.  Then the weather failed to keep it's side of the bargain.  It just stayed cold, wet and horrible and actually still is - tomorrow is full cloud, drizzle and a high of 10 degrees.   Anyway long story short about 4 days in one of the blighters pupated, followed by pretty much all his mates (mainly stuck to the roof and glass).  Sadly looks like I'm going to miss the show (back in the UK - quarantining).  Yesterday - one very excited daughter on the phone - we have our first butterfly hatched.  Today we have 18 !  They're currently residing in the greenhouse out of the wind and rain - I reckon Monday is the big release day (16 degrees and sunshine).  I'll try to get some video taken of it but in the meantime hope you enjoy the pic - doesn't really do them justice.

1351018879_GlFr1st04_21.thumb.jpeg.057853d52432be4e60ad6c8cda21a6a4.jpeg

Edited by ABtrees
  • Like 8