Sthil combi units - hedgecutter greasing

Brett

Grease actually works better with some space left in the housing, but besides that its possible to push the seals out of the bearings in the bevel gearbox.

This grease then gets pushed into the shaft tube and as the machine is generally used head up, the excess grease can migrate down the shaft to the clutch where it is not wanted. And it gets messy.

Too much in the conrod box will merely push past the blades as they reciprocate and make a mess.

Best just not to put too much in, just a liitle and often.

Most of ones I see for service are very low on grease and have often lost the con rod bearings.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree the grease isnt value, and i also find that people have been putting black where clear should go and vica versa

for squeezing the last drop of grease out of the tubes, these are really really great

Tube Squeezer Easy Toothpaste Dispenser Squeeze | eBay

but after reading this thread, ill be drilling/tapping/nippling tomorrow night

i agree the grease isnt value, and i also find that people have been putting black where clear should go and vica versa

for squeezing the last drop of grease out of the tubes, these are really really great

Tube Squeezer Easy Toothpaste Dispenser Squeeze | eBay

but after reading this thread, ill be drilling/tapping/nippling tomorrow night

? what do you mean ? is there something i'm missing here?

? what do you mean ? is there something i'm missing here?

Stihl market 2 greases.

One is a Multi-purpose EP grease (clearish, brownish colour) which is just like most general purpose grease gun tubes. This is for the gear systems of hedgecutters and electric chainsaws.

The other is a high temperature graphite grease ( hence the black colour) for brushcutter and clearing saw gears.

I just use a normal grease gun by removing the bit that would normally push onto a nipple. The grease gun tube then goes into the grease hole enough to avoid any mess. The stihl tubes are a complete and utter waste of money when doing lots of hedgecutting. Much like the stihl one shot oils....another waste of money.

Its really good to oil the blades regularly during use.

You get longer blade life, more revs, use less fuel, take the strain off the gearbox and the whole thing sounds better.

Use engine oil (new) in a squeezy bottle.

WD40 is ok for cleaning and water expulsion, but rubbish for lubrication

Its really good to oil the blades regularly during use.

You get longer blade life, more revs, use less fuel, take the strain off the gearbox and the whole thing sounds better.

Use engine oil (new) in a squeezy bottle.

WD40 is ok for cleaning and water expulsion, but rubbish for lubrication

.....and it also helps prevent the adhesion of sap and resin etc so making it easier to keep clean and clear.

As a rule of thumb, Stihl suggest that if you unscrew the grease plug and there's a "tail" of grease on the end of it when you withdraw it, then it doesn't need greasing.

Edited by pleasant
mistake

The trouble with all the hedgecutter gearboxes, not just Stihl, is that they do lose a lot of grease.

When I have one in for service I always take the bottom plate off and have a good look at the workings. Top up the grease before putting it back on.

I use a cordless drill driver, so it only takes a couple of minutes.