Starting a firewood business

Michael C

However, this is the most important aspect, your logs must be good quality and burn well. They need to be extremely well seasoned and kept dry. If your logs don't burn well, you won't sell a second load, and you'll get a poor reputation.

I'm aware of this. I know I wouldn't buy from the biggest local company to me as I have previously as the last load was very poorly seasoned. There wood is seasoned in the round for 2 years but was as wet as the day it was cut and hissed all day and all night. The wood I sell may look scabby but burns well and moisture wise although higher than most would sell at 30% burns well so I get repeat custom. The biggest problem is sourcing wood so having your own woodland that you can take thinnings from you'd be laughing

Thanks for all your advice guys. This site is very helpful. There should be a few quid in it when my own timber comes online, but I reckon trying to make money out of bought in softwood might be tricky, but I will investigate more in the New Year. I am on the lookout for a processor, new or preferably secondhand, if anybody can help.

You must present your business as a professional outfit with a good website, attractive local press advertising and tidy, presentable vehicles/drivers. This may sound a bit basic, but it does work and you will leap ahead of the "casual" competitors.

I used to believe in that theory , told myself the above for near on 20 years, fact is mate, price is all the punter is concerned about..