Ecological woodland management

I thought I would start a thread, for those of us working on woodlands for enhancing ecological benefits as well as all the other outcomes acheived by good woodland management.

I hope this thread can develope to a resource and am happy for people to add links, photos, documents that may benefit peoples development as woodland managers and advisor's.

Im going to start it will a link to a great FC document on standing deadwood in woodlands http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/lifeinthedeadwood.pdf/$FILE/lifeinthedeadwood.pdf and a link to a wildlife trust website on deadwood B&BC BAP - Deadwood Habitats Technical Appendix

Next week I will put up some photos of a ride widening project to enhance light penetration into the woodland.

Please feel free to add addition info, or photos of projects :thumbup:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please feel free to add any useful links and info you must have stored up David,

I will add a recommended reading list that can be added to as the thread developes but these I would highly recommend as a starting point.

FC: Managing Native Broadleaved Woodland - Ralph Harmer, Gary Kerr and Richard Thompson

Ben Law: The Woodland Way -A Permaculture Approach to Sustainable Woodland Management

RSPB: Woodland Management for Birds: A Guide to Managing for Declining Woodland Birds in England

Im sure there are lots more I will remember as the thread developes, but these three books are fantastic to read before embarking on a journey into woodland management for ecological benefits, and fantastic references to have available if writing woodland management plans for conservation. There isnt many weeks go past without me picking them up and thumbing through them for info or a bit of reading.

fantastic thread Charlie and I will be watching it and participating with interest.

This is my 3rd year now of working for a farmer and doing his hedgerow coppicing for him, also each year he marks a few trees for us. We currently use an agent for woodland advice but it is something im becoming more and more interested in and am starting to enjoy it more then the farming itself at times.

As well as reading material, can knowledgeable folk let me know of any Woodland Management short courses that are available and worth doing.

MAny thanks

Posterd this in training section too but thought it might get seen here too :thumbup1:

Sent: 16 February 2012 12:06

Subject: Discover how to access profitable woodland

FREE training daysto help you to access the Forestry Commission’s Woodfuel WoodlandImprovement Grant.

If you are seekingto engage new woodland owning clients, access ‘roads’ grants andincrease your expertise in forest road building... then this is theday for you!

Register nowon one of the following one-dayworkshops forprofessional woodland managersaimed atdemystifying the Woodfuel Woodland Improvement Grant (WoodfuelWIG).

FlimwellWoodlandEnterpriseCentre,EAST SUSSEXfrom 09:00 to 16:30 Tuesday, 28February 2012

Access to profitable woodland - make woodlands pay their... - Eventbrite

SpyeParkEstate, WILTSHIREfrom 09:00 to 16:30 Wednesday, 7 March2012

EnglefieldEstate,HAMPSHIRE, from 09:00 to 16:30 Thursday, 8 March 2012

Exmoor House,EXMOORfrom09:00 to 16:30 Thursday, 19 April2012

ConkersEnterpriseCentre, DERBYSHIREfrom 09:00 to16:30 Wednesday, 25 April 2012

The Manor HouseHotel,COUNTYDURHAMfrom09:00 to 16:30 Thursday, 26 April2012

United Utilities,CUMBRIA, from 09:00 to16:30, 15 May 2012

You will learn howthe grant operates, understand its technical requirements and beable to populate a Woodland Improvement Grant (WIG) calculator. Youwill come away fully equipped to confidently recommend the scheme toowners, help them towards a successful application, and improve theprofitably of their inaccessible compartments with high quality,grant-aided roads and tracks.

You will be able toquiz the WIG administrator, our consultant engineer and ForestryCommission representatives about all aspects of forest roads andgrant aid. And you will come away with a valuable resource packcontaining all of the information you need to help your clients toimprove their woodland’s infrastructure and capital value.

It will be a packedday – but it’s not allclassroom; after acomplimentary lunch there will be an afternoon site visit to discusssome of the theory in a real-life situation.

BOOK NOW!!Click on the links above toregister or call 01494 568976.

Further events areplanned for theSOUTH EAST, SOUTH WESTandCUMBRIA. Toregister your interest for forthcoming events please call 01494568976 or [email protected] yourcontact details.

Places are limited and weexpect that there will be high demand for these events so pleasebook early to avoid disappointment.

Introduction to Small Woodland Management OCN Level 3

Here you go, great venue, good cafe on site! and Jim is a fantastic tutor

you actually have to complete a management plan for the qualification as well, you can do this for a wood of your choice

Just booked my place. If anyone wanted to attend this and wanted some accommodation, I could probably put you up, I'm not to far away from the Greenwood Centre.

Just booked my place. If anyone wanted to attend this and wanted some accommodation, I could probably put you up, I'm not to far away from the Greenwood Centre.

Jim who runs the course has some heavy horses that he has used for logging :thumbup:

There is also the three day practical course, however if your already involved in woodlands and tree work the two day class room based course is probably a better course as it focus's in detail the paperwork and funding side more than the practical out in the woods type situation.