Pollarding Limes

treebloke

I see this as a problem not because pollarding them is an issue, it is not, not by any stretch of the imagination. Its a problem if the public see this done to limes in this situation and then want it done to the beech next door!

Limes longevity is very much dependent on them self pollarding and retrenching so wether man does it or increasing dysfunction and age with fungi Limes will pollard, better we do this and manage them well than the less controlled Manner that age and fungi will do it in.

I have a row of 16th century limes to confirm any facts in this if need be!

I see this as a problem not because pollarding them is an issue, it is not, not by any stretch of the imagination. Its a problem if the public see this done to limes in this situation and then want it done to the beech next door!

This is very true when I am trying to explain the pro's and con's of what should not be done to a tree in their garden and tell them the LPA will not allow a heavy reduction on their TPO'd tree yet outside their house is a tree maintained by the LPA as a pollard:blushing:

Who says you can't do it to a Beech?

I have seen some brutal topping to Beeches, chuckled at the thought of someone getting hell in a years time, and then low and behold out pops the new growth, :001_huh:unfortunately the heavy timber rots so much quicker and are basically pumped:thumbdown: they do love a massive snap from the wind though, so maybe that's the future, beech pollard by 20 ton winch:biggrin:

I have seen some brutal topping to Beeches, chuckled at the thought of someone getting hell in a years time, and then low and behold out pops the new growth, :001_huh:unfortunately the heavy timber rots so much quicker and are basically pumped:thumbdown: they do love a massive snap from the wind though, so maybe that's the future, beech pollard by 20 ton winch:biggrin:

From pretty close up I bet!

:001_tongue:

• 8 years later...