How much grease to put in timberwolf rollers??

swinny

Same as, and per Matty earlier.

I do clean the slides pretty well, and grease them by hand every blade change, and that's it.

20-30 pumps? I could slide the chipper to work instead of towing it!:001_tongue:

Yes, I always clean and grease the slide bits very well. Think its important as they do collect a bit of grime. I scrape it off with an old stanley blade

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Overgreasing is nearly worse than undergreasing.

Overgreasing kills bearings. I have seen it happen many times, including with one of my chippers which was owned by a muppet who greased it every day. (he was having to install new bearings every 50- 100 hours) and his answer was to use MORE grease.

One simple question if I may, How does that happen, can you explain how lubricant kills bearings?

So to get back to the point you made about bearing lube needing space to prevent it becoming damaged in use, and since you accept that for the majority bearings are packed with grease, how come the grease still works?, and surely, if the way we apply it is detrimental to the lubricant, what better reason for regular greasing?

Well the flywheel is doing a massive 1000 rpm (give or take) and the rollers about 60 to 80 rpm

Add woodchip dirt and dust and unless you are at the business end of a stump grinder it’s hard to imagine a lower speed or a more contaminated environment

I bow to the knowledge that is SKF and rest my case

So to get back to the point you made about bearing lube needing space to prevent it becoming damaged in use, and since you accept that for the majority bearings are packed with grease, how come the grease still works?, and surely, if the way we apply it is detrimental to the lubricant, what better reason for regular greasing?

You will find that sealed bearings are not 'packed with grease' but only part the filled, for the reason I stated, in line with the SKF extract.

I did state that I was talking bearings in general, which maybe I should not have, as the post was about slow speed roller bearings.

I also stated that slow speed, dirty applications should have more.

Although I deviated from the OP, I hope others have found this of some interest.