Is it illegal to use a chainsaw on someone else's land without doing cs30/31

Ted_165

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is such a grey area. I thought that was the case, but it's since become a whole lot murkier so far as I can see.

As I understand it, you actually can do it and you can be paid for it, and if anyone finds out you can't be prosecuted for it.

I believe that where it becomes 'illegal' is if you are an employee and you are made to do a task for which you are not trained. At which point the HSE can take action under the HASAW act [or whatever it goes by now] amongst other 'acts of parliament'.

I don't have CS38 or 39 but I believe that I am perfectly entitled to climb for money should I so wish, so long as it's on a 'self employed' type basis.

I think it's as with everything though, it only becomes a problem should something go wrong.

Grandfather rights existed in chainsaw operation when I took my CS tickets, not sure whether this is still the case...?

so say I bought a fallen tree (for firewood) from someone and went and cut it up into logs on their land, would that be fine?

Yes. If it weren't I doubt very much the likes of B&Q would be allowed to sell chainsaws...

so say I bought a fallen tree (for firewood) from someone and went and cut it up into logs on their land, would that be fine?

Yes, the requirement for proof of training is under legislation that controls employment and business, so for your own personal use your fine.

I doubt for the moment that the matter of legality is relevant here unless there was an insurance claim as a result of the work when in any event the matter would be a minefield between the farmers own cover and the chainsaw operators.

Since safe working practices apply in both instances the simple answer is to make sure that no person or object can be hared during the works...as in be well clear of everything and anyone and watch out for stray walkers and animals.

I doubt for the moment that the matter of legality is relevant here unless there was an insurance claim as a result of the work when in any event the matter would be a minefield between the farmers own cover and the chainsaw operators.

Since safe working practices apply in both instances the simple answer is to make sure that no person or object can be hared during the works...as in be well clear of everything and anyone and watch out for stray walkers and animals.

Well I'm not a fan of doing big tree jobs and not a fan of of felling trees altogether!! I just need to cut up fallen trees or bows and if someone asks me to cut some high up branches and I cant get the tractor near then Im not doing it!!