Hedge laying

Charlietrees

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tips. Always lay uphill, if you have a decayed base lay it off the roots, lay it 'off' as in slightly off centre line of hedge, nick the stems with your saw to bring them into line and firm and get a good line on your stakes after completing your days work. How you finish the hedge will depend on the style it's laid.

Thanks for tips, I live in the midlands so I think I am going for that style! The hedge is all hawthorn, and it's nearly 200 meters long! It has been staggered planted and untouched since. The the trees On the " second row" have grown out. Do I put the cut slightly aimed into the hedge or keep it going down the line? Thanks

Thanks for tips, I live in the midlands so I think I am going for that style! The hedge is all hawthorn, and it's nearly 200 meters long! It has been staggered planted and untouched since. The the trees On the " second row" have grown out. Do I put the cut slightly aimed into the hedge or keep it going down the line? Thanks

If it's Midlands then you'll need hazel stakes and binders. If you use sawn stakes it'll be Derby:001_smile: Wouldn't worry about that though.

If you have enough material to lay in one half of the stagger I'd cut the back row to the ground. Your stakes would then go in a line at the centre of the hedge and the stems laid to them. Keep plenty of brash at the back of the hedge. You want to end up with all your pleachers showing at the base with the finished top off centre. If that makes sense:confused1:

the very basic bits are....

its simply a cut, a split and another cut. anything less than that is a lazy hack, and isnt good for the health of the shrubs

you need to cut about 2/3 of the way through down at around 30-40 degrees from vertical(on the opposite side to direction laying!), as you bend the stem over make sure the split runs down the stem, if it goes up you have messed it. cut the stub off with a cut that slopes up to the bottom of the split - there must be some images on google. A billhook is kinder to the cambium than a chainsaw but if its about speed then wazz through with the saw.

each stem will probably want any of the thicker side branches removed.

the actual putting together i can help you with as i do the far less poncey Devon style! :biggrin:

yes you can change the angle you cut at to point the stems in the direction you want them, probably in towards the centre. a felling lever is useful for opening up the split.

good luck:thumbup1:

If your material is 15ft high and fairly closely planted, don't be afraid to take out a fair bit completely if it isn't in the line you want. 10cm is a nice diameter to be working, 15cm may be a bit heavy to lower. Are you cutting in with a chainsaw or hand tools? I would suggest you at least start with hand tools until you get the "feel" of how much to take them back by. Leave too much and the pleachers crack. You have only taken too much if they fall off, but they tend to start falling of their own accord, at which point you want to be gently lowering them in and if they start cracking they're a bit thick still. If you find this keeps happening, make the cut longer top to bottom so that there's more of a strip to bend, rather than a hinge. Don't worry too much if the pleachers split away from the stump at the back - not ideal but won't do any harm. If you have any thin areas, followed by a couple of good candidates close together, make the cuts at different heights (one a foot or so higher than the other) so they fill in above one another. You WILL get scratched, a lot. If a thorn goes in, get it out quick or wait until it goes septic!

Alec