highclimb

Hello all :001_smile:

I am currently doing a lvl3 award in arboriculture and have been asked to do a 50 page assigment. :scared1:

I chose to do differences in performance and prices in leading brand chainsaws.

It will mostly be covering the 2 main marketers, Stihl and Husqy

But i have also chosen to cover the less admired manuafacturers e.g. ryobi, makita and echo.

I would be very grateful if everyone could leave a comment on what their fave saw is and reasons why, also what would be handy is putting down the worst saws you've used, and reasons why.

any help will be greatly appreciated chappys :001_smile:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not a fan of huskys, although have not used the whole range so cant comment on individual saws. Im a stihl man personally running a MS341 and an MS200t currently in my "private collection" both seem to be doing just fine.

wouldnt recommend echos or ryobi and manafactures in that area but i here makita are climbing the ladder to join stihl and huskys. Personally il believe it once i see it, hopefully other guys on her can help you with makita info.

All the best with the assignment

i love my huski ground saws and really whant to love the top handled saw but i just cant keep reaching for the ms200t. i know for a fact that the prices on spares for the huski are higher than the stilth.

in the early days were i worked ran a lot of dolmars and a few huski, dolmar is now makita nad ive trialed a cpl of makita and they are quite good especially the slightly larger sizes although a bit weighty and if they go on as long as the old dolmars did then great.

worst saw would be a ronin a mate had from bnq as the thing would not even start, and a mcollock so plastic just kept breaking and bending it

hope that helps

arbocop

Highclimb,

if you really want to know about chainsaws, you have to visit the 'Chainsaw' forum at the US website - Arboristsite.com, those guys know everything there is to know about every chainsaw ever made, including the junk you can buy in B & Q(Ryobi, Homelite etc). Its a busy place, easily more than 100 users on at anyone time...so you'll have to phrase your question well, and keep on top of the your thread or it'll disappear pretty quickly.

Arboristsite.com

Never met anyone in the industry who has a 'fave' saw, but you'll be hard pushed to find any serious tree surgeon/logger using brands outwith Husq and Stihl, Jonsered(Made by Husqvarna) and Makita/Dolmar get pretty close with some of their mid range/bigger saws.

CS_2171_J110-108_8.jpg

You'll find out pretty quick that 99% of climbers use the Stihl MS200T in the tree and wouldn't even think about trying anything else.

MS200T.jpg

Hope this helps, good luck.

Edited by scotspine1

My peference is Sthil. Due moslty to being more familiar with the brand and how to fix them etc.

I have used "Husky's" but not for any real length of time.Frankly I feel that a user's brand loyalty is more based on personal preference or what their company provides for their use than Sthil being more reliable than "Husky" or vis versa.

As for brands other than the two above?They are mostly used by private or occasional chainsaw users.IMHO.

Everyone I know who has used a husky top handle has said it is a waste of space, my boss has one but stopped using it due to the fact it just kep breaking, really what my aim is in this thread is to get a jist of what chainsaw models operators use, not really to find out what brand is the best or most preferred.

Everyone I know who has used a husky top handle has said it is a waste of space.

Having used the 338 on some big pruning/removals I wouldn't say it was a waste of space at all, its an excellent little saw, its just that the Ms200T feels better to use, especially on bigger diam branches/stems etc.

Highclimb,

There's a select group of people within the industry who persevere with the Husqvarna 338xp, there could be many reasons for this choice, but insanity is the main one. :001_tongue: I dunno, maybe they'll let you know.

Some people just dont like following the heard,in my opinion stihl is being corpratised by the states profit is more important and there for german quality is going out the window,any one who uses them day in and out and buys a 200t yearly can not say they have had problems with newer model carbs..??