hitch climber

tony053

Matt what length is your cord how many wraps and braids are you using ? I can get mine to self tend nicely at not much height but to get the v.t to grab I have to help it.

Holy cow! If you have to grab your VT knot to make it grab you're running a fine line between life and death!

Sorry for being abrupt but a hitch system is supposed to grab EVERY time and only slip when you make it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to sometimes assist my hitch to bite the rope and do not see a problem with it, I can point flaws in most things, like the lack of anti-panic on ART, or the way you could wrap the rope around am original unicender for controlled descent and it fail to stop when you let go etc etc. Climbing is inherently dangerous only climb with a hitch that does not reliably grab if you comfortable and competent to do this, untill then tune it so it does grab.

For the record I like my knot loose so its easy to advance, yes it will not always grab in fine adjustments or just after advancing but I highly doubt it would lead to freefall!

Most hitches do tend to bite even if tied super loose once the rope starts to move I've found. As Marc said, fault can be found in virtually All pieces of equipment. It's up to the operator to make sure there gear is working properly and not just assume its going to work.

Has anyone managed to set up a h.c/v.t that self tends and grabs without a assist now and again? Iv tried so many cord lengths more wraps less braids etc and the best out come I can get is 3 wraps and 1 braid but like I say it needs help to grab. I noticed when I watched the friction hitchery video the climber pushes his v.t up to help it grab.

Has anyone managed to set up a h.c/v.t that self tends and grabs without a assist now and again? Iv tried so many cord lengths more wraps less braids etc and the best out come I can get is 3 wraps and 1 braid but like I say it needs help to grab. I noticed when I watched the friction hitchery video the climber pushes his v.t up to help it grab.

Albere, I wasn't insinuating that you're crazy or daft, just that anyone who relies on being able to get their hand on to the hitch in the event of a slip is crazy.

I'm fully aware of how all hitches and mechanical devices work, I've used all except Unicender, and realise that all are fallible in certain positions/setups.

In my opinion, it's safer to have a slightly tight hitch while ascending because you know for a fact that if you slip it will definitly bite.

Anyone disputing this is foolhardy and has not read Cary Gibson's account of his recent fall while using an HC. Read it now on page 60(?) of the Rope Wrench Feedback thread.