hitch climber

tony053

Hi all, i am currently in my 2nd year of college just passed my CS38 and i am climbing just with a prusik but was thinking of buying the DMM hitch climber set up,

HitchClimber Friction Hitch System

was just wondering what the advantages of using the hitch climber are over the simple prusik?

and if anyone had any vids of them climbing on the hitch climber set up that would be very useful aswell.

Thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiah dude. There are loads of advantages to using the hc. All depending on how you set it up though....Diffirent knots/hitches etc. The main ones though are self tending on accents and easier slack tending on branch walks. Decents are smooth too especially when using the hc rapide. Plus when hauling a saw into the tree can just send a loop down and get the groundie to pull the tail and send the saw up. Useful for bigger saws.

Can be a bit of a pain to get it set up right...Depends on rope/cord combinations. Am sure many more people will comment and offer more advice.:001_smile:

Being able to tend slack with one hand while holding on to the tree with the other is the biggest advantage. TBH I have the rapide and don't really notice any difference. In fact my HC had gunk in the pully and wasn't actually rolling for a couple of days before I noticed it. Sorted it with some soapy water.

Get one, you won't regret it.

The one thing I dont like the look of is when people climb up the tree say 4/5 pulls then pull the slack through what happens if you slip and let go you would fall those 4/5 pulls, unless you pull the slack through on each pull up. Or have I got it wrong?

Being able to tend slack with one hand while holding on to the tree with the other is the biggest advantage. TBH I have the rapide and don't really notice any difference. In fact my HC had gunk in the pully and wasn't actually rolling for a couple of days before I noticed it. Sorted it with some soapy water.

Get one, you won't regret it.

Do you install a cambium saver from the ground though or just when you reach the top?

Once you get used to it, it is quicker for ascents/descents and less effort.

there at some points on this video that demonstrates the hand over hand ascending and slack tending.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx4LsoXITms&feature=related]FrictionHitchery - YouTube[/ame]

The one thing I dont like the look of is when people climb up the tree say 4/5 pulls then pull the slack through what happens if you slip and let go you would fall those 4/5 pulls, unless you pull the slack through on each pull up. Or have I got it wrong?

You've got it right mate.

Shouldn't really do more than a couple before tending slack, but a groundie can tail your line for you for a quick ascent.