Louise

Louise

I wouldn't be impressed I just copied and pasted from a shopping list, although I do know that that the 2+2 is better, if I can't get the 2+2, which would be better 3+0 or 2+1?

I'm a spring planter, it hadn't occurred to me to do it in the Autumn is one better than the other?

I told you about the questions

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not that they are better trees in a quality sense, its just they are more established and are at the age when they start to really grow. We generally found 2+2s would do well whenever you planted them but we would only plant the 2+1s in the autum when they had finished growing. This would let them settle in over the winter and give them time to set buds ready for their first "flush" on your ground. ITS ALL ABOUT THE BUDS...Ive got some questions of my own... Spacing? Drainage? nearby trees? deer?

All the trees i have at the moment are potted, which I started last spring, and potting another 800 this spring, my borther put up some deer fencing to protct them.

I plan to plant up between 500 and 1000 in the ground next year, and again each year basically until I run out of space, the top part of the field is reasonably well drained and we do have deer and brown hares, so that is why I'm waiting until next year to do the trees in the ground so I can get the area secure.

the top half of the field there are a few trees close by, a couple of oaks and ash but when I expand over the years I will need to plant close to the Alder wood, does it make a different being close to some trees rather then others?

I only have an 8 acre field and about an acre is taken up with a Alder wood so I can't plant huge amounts and there is only me and my brother that is doing all the work so we are restricted on time.