Potential arboriculturalist needs advice!!

danshayler

Dan,

I am in the same boat as yourself - all be it a little older:001_smile:, with only two years left :thumbup: (if I am not made redundant!:sneaky2:)

I emailed a few guys on this site whilst on tour and lined up some work for my post tour leave. It was a great insight into the industry (Thanks!!), showing that the work is physically demanding, but also gives great job satisfaction. I was only humping and dumping, but I would recommend it to give you a steer as to what your in for.

I decided I couldnt wait for my resettlement and booked myself on a CS30/31(used SLC to part fund it). I did it At Kingswood Training Services - they are forces friendly, provide accomodation and the instructor we had, was very professional with a great depth of knowledge - mega banter aswell!:thumbup: They do a full service leavers cse which I will be attending when I get the boot!!

Hope this helps, if you need any further info on it give me a shout.

Good Luck

Si

Thanks for all the good advice fella's (pun intended), Stephen, you hit the nail on the head, monkey with a saw is what i want.

If ive got it right, i need all the basic chainsaw, small tree, medium tree, climbing courses etc to get me started, start with cs30 and keep going up? With those and some experience i can pass the assesments with ISA and get certified, this will give me a better chance of work abroad???

Si, a mate of mine just did the one at Kingswood, in Kent for his resettlement, he was really impressed too and he aint easily impressed. I'll probably go with them but was just wondering if there was one down here (Cornwall).

That said, if anyone down this way wants a grafter to work on weekends or every other afternoon, then drop me a line. Im used to hard work (the only form of heating in my house is a log burner, so i can saw&chop wood!)

Dan.

a consultant would still be an arboriculturist, as he knows what hes doing. Arborist is just a shortened term.

arboriculture in a literal translation is tree cultivation, so thats the definition of the word, but it encompasses a range of different aspects.

For someone so young, you don't half waffle some **** sometimes Rob!! Haha

i read that post back, and it doesnt sound that smart! :blushing:

ill agree with you for that one moz!

Since when was a cs ticket a recognised arb qualification? I did the RFS cert arb in 2005, couple of ex services guys on that, course paid for as part of resettlement, they left with a arb qualification and all relevant chainsaw tickets, one day a week for academic year plus extra chainsaw training and assessment days, this would allow you to work for a firm and gain experience whilst studying, course was at merrist wood college, Guildford. Sure other colleges run same course

Hi Dan

I left the Army in 2010after 14 yrs and now work full time for a local company as well as for myself. i can probably answer all your questions, I live in Wool nr Bovington prob easier if you just give me a call, if i dont answer leave a voicemail and i'll call you back. I'll pm the number.

cheers

Dave