Using breathable tarpaulin for log seasoning

PaddyFF

Would the silage clamp product they do not be suitable ?, suspect it might be non breathing though.

A

It's just heavy gauge polythene I think, so not breathable, Tyvek roofing felt is the breathable stuff, great for roofs but pointless in a barn.

A firm I used to work for trialled a fleece over their chip heaps, to get the mc below 45% for the power stationm but there were problems, I wasn't involved but the use was abandoned.

Thanks for all the posts and advice.

So if the logs are outside, off the ground and covered with a normal tarpaulin or silage sheet (even though not breathable), that doesn't touch the ground to allow airflow, in a years time it won't be a big pile of mouldy useless logs but nice seasoned firewood.

Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks

I always place on palletts with a tin sheet or sheets over. On the continent, Germany, Austria I see these stacks in cords in woodland with one sheet over tied down through the stack - all timber lifted off the ground with two sacrificial narrow poles. I have the Grube catalogue (available via their website) and it shows tarps specially made with sprung tie downs terminating in knock-in pins and they look perfect for the job - I use a similar idea and my wood dries to 25% and below like this.