nail guns and cold conditions

miker

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for all the replies and advice,i always keep the guns serviced so as you all say it is the cold gas,all my feather edge was frozen together this week also and had to replace a few rails due to splitting on the frozen ends,finished my glut of closeboard now for a week or so,back on knee rail for next few jobs, nail guns can have a warm up in the kitchen!!

Exactly the same here. Got fed up with Paslode and Hitachi gas guns. Even with servicing they just aren't reliable enough when it comes to doing closeboard in dirty, cold and wet conditions.... fine for indoors, fine for dry days in clean places. But we find the air nailers so much more reliable. Bostitch ones are brilliant, so is their compressor, and with a massive long reel of airline (Bostitch too) you're good to go. No power, then just run it off an inverter in the truck. Much much cheaper to run too.

Sick a gas canister in your pocket to keep it warm then swap it when you get problems. Gets the job done

:thumbup1:

If you take the core out of a tractor tube in cold weather the valve will ice up as the pressurised air expands.This is how fridges,freezers and air conditioning works.

The same thing is happening as the cold compressed gas exits the nozzle.

Exactly the same here. Got fed up with Paslode and Hitachi gas guns. Even with servicing they just aren't reliable enough when it comes to doing closeboard in dirty, cold and wet conditions.... fine for indoors, fine for dry days in clean places. But we find the air nailers so much more reliable. Bostitch ones are brilliant, so is their compressor, and with a massive long reel of airline (Bostitch too) you're good to go. No power, then just run it off an inverter in the truck. Much much cheaper to run too.

Any chance of a full spec for your set up and rough costs??

I've often thought about switching to air but have never really took it any further than random browsing. What range of nail sizes will they accomodate?

those of you who run 1st fix air nailers, what psi do you run them at, i'm thinking of getting one to run alongside my paslode, but i need to get the full set up. what compressors do you recomend. Also is it posible to run a compressor from a generator. i know you can get small petrol compressors but are they any good ?

thanks.

I've often thought about switching to air but have never really took it any further than random browsing. What range of nail sizes will they accomodate?

get in touch with a company called ram fast, do a full range. Theres a 40mm stapler, nail guns right the way up to full size 4inch+ for post rail etc, your looking at £1500 for two guns and petrol compressor.

Aaron

We use one of the Bostitch coil nailers. The nails come in a coil with a capacity of up to 225 nails in the magazine. Longest nails are something like 70mm and shortest about 35mm and nail diameter is 2.03 to 2.5mm. Wide range of nails are available, incl stainless. Compressor we use with this is the RC-10-U. It's a 10 litre easily portable one that can be lugged with one hand. Comes with 10m hose and is happy running all day. It's 240v and we have no problem running it off inverter from truck or from a small genny. Typically run the compressor in the middle of its range, about 100psi. They also do extra 15m or 30m airlines, although we find the supplied 10m one to be sufficient.

Re cost, we managed to get a good deal where we paid something like £600 for the whole lot. I know Screwfix do the compressor we have for £200 inc vat, and one of the nailers for £200 inc vat. The nailer they do is good and nice and light making it ideal for closeboard fencing. We got one higher up in the model range, but I can't for the life of me remember the shop we got it from. It was on-line and we found it through fleabay!

All in all, we've been really happy with this set up, and just find it so much less hassle than the gas nailer. Plus it means you end up with a good compressor too which is great for flat tyres, cleaning equipment, air tools etc. Far more useful than a gas nailer for that sort of thing!