Show us ya birds !

David Humphries

I told you numbers were increasing !

So after 10 years waiting to get the first picture of an Oriole ............ wife's been out with the camera again this morning !

595649028_2outof3.thumb.jpg.70cef418e2c711a715fd6c18cb0aef17.jpg

So that'll be a pair of Orioles AND a Middle Spotted Woodpecker thrown in for good measure - I going to get her to pick some lottery numbers for tonight (so we can afford a better camera!).

And then the chick (Oriole not the wife) gets in the frame too !!!

1864641707_Londonbuses.thumb.jpg.05f87811f45f22cd2e4510cdc8dc8e4e.jpg

Like London buses I tell you !

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ABtrees said:

I told you numbers were increasing !

So after 10 years waiting to get the first picture of an Oriole ............ wife's been out with the camera again this morning !

595649028_2outof3.thumb.jpg.70cef418e2c711a715fd6c18cb0aef17.jpg

So that'll be a pair of Orioles AND a Middle Spotted Woodpecker thrown in for good measure - I going to get her to pick some lottery numbers for tonight (so we can afford a better camera!).

And then the chick (Oriole not the wife) gets in the frame too !!!

1864641707_Londonbuses.thumb.jpg.05f87811f45f22cd2e4510cdc8dc8e4e.jpg

Like London buses I tell you !

I actually heard one the same day you posted this! First time since I mentioned hearing one in April, before hearing a cuckoo. Still never seen one which jars me off. My grandson sees them quite frequently on their lake near Limoges. It's very heavily forested,  ideal for them to hide out by the waterside.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2021 at 19:29, Billhook said:

Canada gosling sees mum take off and tries to pluck up courage for a first flight.  Seems to be encouraged by siblings.

Bit if an untidy crash landing and seems to be mocked by siblings 

Next time does a water landing which went well and seemed to gain applause from family

Think I am becoming a Canada goose whisperer!

They certainly communicate very well.

Now I see in the first video where the female gosling takes her first short flight and lands in a heap, her three brothers are definitely scolding her

Downwind checks “Brakes, undercarriage, mixture rich, harnesses and hatches, fuel sufficient for overshoot”

In the second video there is definite praise for a perfect waterski landing.

She has done three more water landings and there is no praise any more, done that , once is enough!

The young males have not flown yet so all credit to the little girl leading by example!

The other amazing bit of communication was when they were all around me feeding out of my hand.  The gander will take it from my hand but is still fairly wild.  This time he was keeping watch about five yards away and gave a couple of low grunts and as one all six of them rushed down to the water’s edge, not going in the water and all staring at something away from me and towards the hedge and the field beyond about a hundred yards away

I looked hard but could see nothing, but they seemed insistent so whether it was a fox or another predator they had seen or maybe heard I do not know.

I think that one of the reasons they tolerate my presence is that they feel safer from their enemies.
But it was the way they all rushed together as though it had been rehearsed that impressed , perhaps it was just instinct.

• Like 2

IMG_2001.jpg

I’ve been shadowed by this little fella all afternoon. Was never more than 2 feet away from me and didn’t budge even when I put my hand out. So I’m guessing he’s either very brave, foolhardy or there’s some tasty food in the logs I’ve just split [emoji23]

• Like 6