Show us ya birds !

David Humphries

3 hours ago, ABtrees said:

Anyone know what this is ?  (Not sure it's that exciting!)

IMG_7890.2.jpg

Any more pics? Could be a pale phase Buzzard, if it was flying like a Buzzard. Think they're more common on the continent tho

Having seen just three swallows so far this year, the first on Apr 20th, I was really pleased to see these martins in the yard of some light industrial units near Gatwick on Wednesday.

Pete W -  I think your photographic supremacy is not at risk!

Edited by nepia
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, nepia said:

Having seen just three swallows so far this year, the first on Apr 20th, I was really pleased to see these martins in the yard of some light industrial units near Gatwick on Wednesday.

Pete W -  I think your photographic supremacy is not at risk!

That's  fantastic to see them gathering the mud for their nests. I sometimes flood a bit of ground when it's dry to help them out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete W said:

Any more pics? Could be a pale phase Buzzard, if it was flying like a Buzzard. Think they're more common on the continent tho

Hi Pete.

That's exactly what I thought (unfortunately).  And yes we do have some very pale buzzards locally - and no, no other pics that would help !  It was taken last Thurs - an odd day in as much as there were suddenly lots of birds in the air. About 10 or 12 buzzards (including this one - v. close) and half a dozen or more Black Kites - had the macro lens on the camera hence crap photos (that's my excuse anyway) !  You would have had a field day !

34 minutes ago, Pete W said:

That's  fantastic to see them gathering the mud for their nests. I sometimes flood a bit of ground when it's dry to help them out. 

...there's no shortage of dry ground down here just now so a concentration of birds shouldn't be a surprise.  Plenty of the better off have garden ponds though.

Well done flooding ground though that will be rare need with you I expect.

49 minutes ago, ABtrees said:

Hi Pete.

That's exactly what I thought (unfortunately).  And yes we do have some very pale buzzards locally - and no, no other pics that would help !  It was taken last Thurs - an odd day in as much as there were suddenly lots of birds in the air. About 10 or 12 buzzards (including this one - v. close) and half a dozen or more Black Kites - had the macro lens on the camera hence crap photos (that's my excuse anyway) !  You would have had a field day !

Well that's at least two of us that could be wrong ? Funny you should mention lenses, I had come in to swap over to a macro lens to get some shots of grasshoppers (OK I know I'm sad) and noticed a peregrine through the window, by the time I'd got back outside it had buggered off. Hung around outside for another hour in case it came back, no luck. Still haven't got the grasshopper pics!

49 minutes ago, nepia said:

...there's no shortage of dry ground down here just now so a concentration of birds shouldn't be a surprise.  Plenty of the better off have garden ponds though.

Well done flooding ground though that will be rare need with you I expect.

This is the second exceptionally dry spring in a row, we had a bit of rain about 10 days ago but that's about it for the last couple of months. The fell water supply ran out for a few days but the tanks have filled again.

13 minutes ago, Silverhooker said:

Local paper has anounced that an osprey was killed the other day on the M6. ☹️

That happened a couple of weeks ago, it was spooked by some dickhead pushing his pushbike up the hard shoulder, straight into the path of a wagon. There are pics of the incident on Twitter. ?

• Sad 1