chestnuts

slasherscot

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/14/20081114/tpl-mp-fights-to-save-conkers-81c5b50.html

how true this is, i do the tree work for Scottish Water in Glasgow ( Tim Craigs back yard lol) and on 1 site i have removed 10 mature chestnuts all bleedin canker, and with more to come this year. dropping like flies

Edited by slasherscot

Did you have any of the trees confirmed as having bleeding canker? There are loads of things that can cause resinous bleeding. I think you need to send a sample to the central sciences laboratory of DEFRA for confirmation. Most confirmed cases have been in the South West. I think its all being sensationalised a little and there are a lot of misdiagnoses leading to the unnecisary felling of Trees.

Im not trying to have a dig just trying to get the conversation going on it.

do you think that some of chestnuts are living with bleeding canker ? there are some near me which have had it for a good 2 years and not showing plenty of vigor ?

Oh yes!!

They can get a touch of it a recover,IME.

But if they get it bad they lose their structural integrity and become dangerous, again IME

I've done quite a lot of personal research into this disease, and I've discussed it in a couple of previous threads. What I'd say is that it isn't uniformly fatal- around 50% of trees start dropping so much top as to require removal, and that proportion is lower in larger, more vigorous trees. I'd also say that it's worth thinking about what else might be happening in the worst affected trees: a change in soil conditions, trenching, other abiotic matters? Similarly to the previous M. giganteum threads here, there may be other agents at work and the most visible one is copping the blame. Forest Research guidance is here: http://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/fr/INFD-6L4ER3 ,and it changes from time to time, but the crucial thing they mention here is that if a given area (let's say an area within visual cue- a park, a road or a neighbourhood- an amenity area) has a high proportion of horse chestnuts as part of their tree population, think carefully about removals. I'd even say, but planting non-hippcastanaceae potential replacements at the earliest stage in this instance. What I'm saying is that we need to think carefully about prescribing removal where HCs are all that's there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge HC fan, but some tree cover is better than none. On that subject there was a radio 4 call-in show it the other week ans some Herbert called in and said essentially "I hope it kills all the HCs as it's a non-native invader that deserves to be eradicated". Just look at some urban landscapes (particularly Victorian parks) and imagine the the HCs gone. I think we'd all miss them (particularly in early April, when they now folwer here in coastal Wales).