2" auger bit required

Crazy Cutter

I've a 2" but it cost a small fortune, i've also a forstner bit, ex axminster tools , worked a treat with extension bar drilled 14" of oak post 2" hole easily.

Top tip for the forstner, keep pulling it out to keep it clear they bung up easily and can shear off theyre about 80£ with the extension bar. proper auger was around 300!

I've a 2" but it cost a small fortune, i've also a forstner bit, ex axminster tools , worked a treat with extension bar drilled 14" of oak post 2" hole easily.

Top tip for the forstner, keep pulling it out to keep it clear they bung up easily and can shear off theyre about 80£ with the extension bar. proper auger was around 300!

Thanks everyone. This is for green chestnut 4-6" wide. I find the flat bits do heat up a bit so burn the drill out! What size drill would you all recommend and where is the 300 quid auger available?

I'd go for a bit and brace. I've made a fair few holes in green oak for gate-posts etc and b it and brace is most reliable and usually fastest in green wood. It's also a lot easier to find a decent 2" bit, and easy to sharpen with just a flat file.

How many holes do you need to make?

I find the flat bits do heat up a bit so burn the drill out!

It wont be the heat from the drill bit causing the motor to burn out. It will be the very slow speed its running at getting it hot & having to low an air flow through the casing.

Get a drill that has a geared slow speed setting that is not trigger controlled.

Get a drill that has a geared slow speed setting that is not trigger controlled.

I have two Metabo BE622 single speed drills which I pretty much earn my living with. If you want an indestructible hassle free drill, these are at the top of the list.

Crazy cutter, how deep are you drilling, and for what purpose?

I have two Metabo BE622 single speed drills which I pretty much earn my living with. If you want an indestructible hassle free drill, these are at the top of the list.

Crazy cutter, how deep are you drilling, and for what purpose?

Morticed post and rail. 4 to 6" posts. The ones i bought in the past must have been done on a morticing machine but i don't have access to one. The plan was to drill two holes and join up the gap like on a gate hurdle. It has worked well with my carving bar on the 200. Just need to speed the hole drilling side up as no end to do.