Ancient Woodland

Absolutely and I think many people feel the same way when they're in the woods. Its all about balance really, we can't keep everyone out because there's public foot paths, but we can neglect some of the mubby access, that usually slow's them down :lol:

plant hawthorn and blackthorn next to the paths and let them get a bit overgrown I once saw someone have to carry his dog cause it wouldnt walk through it never saw him again funny that:confused1:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good answer man, but I'm filling up with whisky and getting more concerned with checking out Tea Leoni on Bad Boys than managing ancient woodlands! I've been distracted!

Our priorities are completely aligned - when it comes to a choice between a perv at Tia Leoni or a discussion on ancient woodland who cares about trees!:drool:

Hi Backpain, I've arrived at your post a bit late. You've had lots of sound suggestions regarding all manner of things (inc Tea Leoni :001_cool:)

I'd like to stick my oar in though. One of the main priciples of AW management is the management of light. AW should be seen as one organism with equal importance given to the ground flora - for it is this, as much as the grand old trees, fungi and fauna, that distinguishes it from secondary woods.

Without having first seen the wood through all the seasons, you can't really get a handle on what is present. I've seen well-intentioned work eradicate colonies of sorrel, herb-paris and anemonies by the rapid spread of bramble and bracken after the opening of the canopy These are particularly virulent here in the south-east and may not be an issue to you.

Be certain, as far as practical, that you are aware of what is present at your site. In addition, how does it relate, or link, with neighbouring woods (if any) as this will have a bearing on the more mobile species.

Enlist the help of your local wildlife trust (or similar organisations) to see what info they have about rare, uncommon and vulnerable species in your area.

And most importantly; be clear in your aims.

The three you mentioned are all compatible with time and effort but do you have the time to patrol and police the site once the public are in?

As stated before, get reading and have fun.

:thumbup1:

Thanks Austin I really appreciate your advice and its opened up my eyes on a couple of things. We have a SSSI and a pond located close to the woods. It sounds like your saying don't try to rush things and observe whats present in and around the woods. :thumbup1:

I think Austin sums it up pretty well. :thumbup1:

As for sycamore, this once again seems to polarise opinion.

20 yrs ago I would have been happy to see it eradicated from our upland woods. To restore a more 'natural balance' we removed over a thousand from one site and guess what? The odd ones that coppiced (ie didnt get nibbled) are going to give us firewood soon. Nothing else seems to do as well.

I am shortly about to plant a few in a new coppice. Never thought i'd see the day.

I have always thought that our ancient woodlands evolved BECAUSE of man (and woman) using the timber and timber products. Surely we should still be doing this but using our greater knowledge (?) to protect vulnerable flora and fauna.

Or else we will be importing more and more firewood:cursing:

Thanks Austin I really appreciate your advice and its opened up my eyes on a couple of things. We have a SSSI and a pond located close to the woods. It sounds like your saying don't try to rush things and observe whats present in and around the woods. :thumbup1:

Absolutely. There's no need to rush, as the wood has taken many centuries to evolve. Another year or two isn't going to make any difference. Where as 1 hour of ill-informed but well intentioned work can be disasterous.

The nearby pond will have an important role to play on the diversity your wood & likewise your wood is important to the pond.

It's all interconnected man!:thumbup1: