A couple of Rope Wrench Vids

Ian Flatters

from memory too short a tether length can make advancing more difficult and can possibly lead to descending issues, RW not getting chance to engage properly as you descend so can just plummet! Think something like this may have happened to Carey Gibson...maybe he posted on treebuzz, could be wrong..just make sure wrench engages before descending(as I'm sure you know).

Having reviewed this there were other factors involved in Carey's incident, he's got it all on utube . My mistake. Apologies. As per recent RW safety vid there are a number of factors to be taken into account then using the RW, tether length, rope diameter etc AND in the case of the SJ your using a tool not strictly designed for this purpose ie SRT. As per the SJ manual it is a ddrt tool.

I would recommend those unfamiliar with the RW use it also in the method for which it was designed initially ie with a hitch (this is especially the case if they are also unfamiliar with the SJ) before, if they wish, trying the two in conjunction.

Saying all that I find the ability of the SJ to consistently grab the rope (provided you don't hold back your weight!) especially in varying conditions a distinct advantage imo.

Although I've found for me an 11mm static to be a preferred choice of working rope, in many instances, as I'm sure most of you are aware this in itself adds another potentially dangerous variable. Take care.

Ken

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great vids Ian. But I've just got to mention something that I've mentioned a couple of weeks ago in a thread I put up concerning the SAR or ISC Rockers. These are like 50 quid (as opposed to £90) and they are designed and properly approved for work positioning AND fall arrest without rope damage, and is a proper piece of PPE. They run free up and down the rope, completely self tending, simple and easy to operate with gloves, they can be locked in place on the rope, they hold the rope properly well for work positioning, they engage dynamically in the event of a fall, they can be held in a neutral position for fast movement, they bend the rope into the same S shape as the rope wrench, they can be attached mid line (without having to spend more on a special pin), they are recommended by AAK Competence Center in Norway for work positioning etc for arborists.

Maybe I'm missing a trick here, I don't know, but I can't see anything that the RW does better than a Rocker in terms of work positioning etc. All I see is an expensive device that might not grip the rope in an uncontrolled descent and that isn't an piece of approved PPE.

I've got 2 rockers here, and I'd be more than happy to get another one so I can let you have a go - I am just really curious as to why the Rocker is completely ignored when it's something recommended by an organisation like AAK Competence Center.

I've mentioned before, I climb mainly for recreation and for doing pruning work with a Silky, but I can't see my needs being any different from someone working with a chainsaw. P'raps I'm missing a trick, or p'raps marketing and lack of knowledge of other devices is swaying people in direction of RW and ignoring everything else.... I dunno.

Great vids Ian. But I've just got to mention something that I've mentioned a couple of weeks ago in a thread I put up concerning the SAR or ISC Rockers. These are like 50 quid (as opposed to £90) and they are designed and properly approved for work positioning AND fall arrest without rope damage, and is a proper piece of PPE. They run free up and down the rope, completely self tending, simple and easy to operate with gloves, they can be locked in place on the rope, they hold the rope properly well for work positioning, they engage dynamically in the event of a fall, they can be held in a neutral position for fast movement, they bend the rope into the same S shape as the rope wrench, they can be attached mid line (without having to spend more on a special pin), they are recommended by AAK Competence Center in Norway for work positioning etc for arborists.

Maybe I'm missing a trick here, I don't know, but I can't see anything that the RW does better than a Rocker in terms of work positioning etc. All I see is an expensive device that might not grip the rope in an uncontrolled descent and that isn't an piece of approved PPE.

I've got 2 rockers here, and I'd be more than happy to get another one so I can let you have a go - I am just really curious as to why the Rocker is completely ignored when it's something recommended by an organisation like AAK Competence Center.

I've mentioned before, I climb mainly for recreation and for doing pruning work with a Silky, but I can't see my needs being any different from someone working with a chainsaw. P'raps I'm missing a trick, or p'raps marketing and lack of knowledge of other devices is swaying people in direction of RW and ignoring everything else.... I dunno.

You mean £77 + Vat :thumbup1:. The RW is a great bit of kit and i use SRT lines so all the ascenders are approved for that use. The ISC rocker, not sure why its never taken off although the one 30min play i had with one i found it to be far more cumbersome than the RW but that is my limited personal opinion. The Bonus with the RW and the pin is midline attachment and quick change to DRT or from DRT to SRT in a few seconds. I dont know if you can pull a hitch up under the rocker but if not this would require attaching other kit to the line? As for the SAR i have never seen or tried so i cannot comment.

Hi Ian.

The SAR Rocker is exactly same as ISC Rocker (and Troll and Yates, which are both made by ISC). SAR is the name of the company of the fella that designed this particular device. They make a wide range of access, climbing and rescue equipment, and supply stuff to the likes of AAK in Norway.

I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't be possible to pull a hitch up under a Rocker in the same way as the RW. I'll have a play with this and see how it works.

One thing I do know for sure is that it only takes a few seconds to attach and remove mid-line, and I certainly can't see any problem with quick changes from DRT to SRT and back.

Depending on work commitments over the next couple of days, I hope to get some more play time!

doesnt the rocker grab under inertia like the petzl asap?

No. It applies friction in exactly the same way as the RW by bending the rope into an 'S' shape, however it grabs the rope harder when fully loaded by having a cam that "rocks" and clamps the rope. This is why it also works for fall arrest and works for work positioning without requiring a friction hitch. Provided it's not loaded then you can move it up and down the rope as fast as you like with no drag.