If you're trying to sell a walnut butt.....

Rob D

If that was mine and I was trying to sell it as a butt, I would dig off the worst of the mud and pressure wash it thoroughly, then stick an Alaskan dead up the middle as far as it would go, finishing off by tipping it so the cut was vertical and freehanding the last of it with an old chain (I have a 36" bar and near-worn out ripping chain for this type of job).

This will show just how good the butt is for rot, together with colour and grain of the rootball.

Otherwise it's a bit of a punt for someone and you might well struggle to get it moved.

Alec

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the grain of butternut is fairly distinct so it should be easy to distinguish the two.

Definably! The softness & lightness as well.

Id guess the rotten trunk shown could be chainsawed up & some go for turning? But the 7th devil can advise on that.

If not firewood...

Edited by spiral