1000 times before but...

fergusonforestry

agricultural registration of mogs is crystal clear, in both what you can, and cant do. 1: used for agriculture 2:used for forestry--not abriculture. 3:horticulture. the vehicle must have a pto, and prefered to have a hydraulic 3 point linkage, the dvla, vosa, and gov registration sites are very clear on what is allowed, and what isnt. any mog IS allowed on any motorway purely because it is legally allowed to exceed the 20mph limit that applys to ALL tractors that do not have suspension on ALL axles (none of your "farm" tractors have this, irrespectiveof what speed they are capable of) depending on what use the vehicle is being used for dictates the type of fuel being used, again the details are crystal clear, personally i use veg oil or bio cos its cheaper even than red!, and no questions from hmrc, get your mog, read the rules, learn them, and be willing to quote them to whatever stroppy traffic officer or vosa wannabe thinks they know better, 99.9% of them dont have a clue and will try to bully there opinion down your throat.

I keep a copy of the gov website pages in the cab for just such occasions, and they will back down and apologise when proved wrong.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so it should be fine to have it ag reg'd on white?

Be carefull with that assumption. Once again agriculture is not cutting trees for the local authority, that would be commercial tree surgery. The exemption is for farmers.

So we have the fuels sorted, you can put the truck on an "O" licence now you need to address the driver licencing and you are home free.

as i have already stated forestry is an accepted exemption, nowhere does it state only for farmers quote"Agricultural machines

The following vehicles can be taxed in the 'agricultural machine' tax class:

Agricultural tractor

A tractor used on the public roads only for purposes:

relating to agriculture, horticulture, forestry

of cutting verges bordering public roads

of cutting hedges or trees bordering public roads or bordering verges which border public roads"

this is lifted straight from the goverment website. the last time I looked cutting trees for an LA usually involved a public road in the close vicinity, same for hedges, and if there isnt a public road, its either a wood or forest, again a valid exception

sory for hi -jacking Ferguson forestry - can i just clarify for myself....

If i went out and bought an agri reg mog tommorow and stuck a chipper on it for arb work - i would need to re reg for road use, use white deisel and get an O license.

thanks

dean, if you were doing domestic arb work, yes, doesnt qualify, but if you were to use it to "pull" the ocasionall tree out of the wood, maybe skid some non domestic timber out of the wood, then thats forestry work. by the same token on"cherry" use, go into the forrest, drag the timber out and take it to your yard, ok to use cherry, go to the same forrest, pick up your timber from a stack, take it back to your yard, not ok to use cherry! you try and work out the logic

just for your info,traditional loggers, the mog, fastrac(grey area with some models, something about the steering system), mbtrac, are soon to joined by a resurected oldy, trantor are about to be reborn, going to prove interesting with vosa soon!