Splitter Advice

hawthornheavyhorses

Thanks All. I'm not too keen on the screw types, I've seen one flip a ring in a previous job and it wasn't pretty. Also really I need it to be self powered and split 3ft long logs for billets, so think it's a hydraulic ram for me.

Also thinking about it a trailed splitter would be very handy, and my wood piles are all over so could take it on the back of the landy and stack straight into the pick up to take them to the yard. Anyone know of any that have a cradle to aid lifting, I've seen them at shows but don't know who makes them.

Cheers,

Matt

A new trailed one for less than £1500 will probably be a far eastern import:thumbdown: but you may find a decent used one for that. I believe Riko and others do a petrol hydraulic one that doesn't tow (bit like a sack truck setup). I always think the idea of running a tractor to run a splitter is like hitting a nail with a sledgehammer- all that horsepower running when you only really need a tidly little engine to run it.

My Hydraulic one is "far eastern" .. It has a double acting ram with a wedge with a cutting edge both sides , anvill (splitting face) each end . 20t force . All I did was covert it to road towing with suspension and road tires. Must bee no more than £1400 tops . Its not as fast as my screw type but it has never not split any thing . I liked the design where you can put a ring on each end so you don't wast the return stroke .

i know they are probably one of the most expensive log splitters, but they are cracking bit of kit (no pun intended)

we have a 20t pto one and we havent come across anything it wont split yet.

there workmanship and quality is second to non.

HI J there very well made there one of the best splitter out there get what you pay for jon :thumbup:

I've just got a Fuelwoods Woodline WL10 Multipla which has a Honda engine and a splitting height of 57cm but the splitting table rotates through 4 positions from vertical to horizontal - it has been ideal for really wide rings - 3 feet diameter at latest experiment- and shorter rings which I lift onto the horizontal bed. They also make a WL10 Bull special vertical only with a 102cm height of log. Trouble is mine cost 1700 quis so I reckon the Bull 10 is about 2k. I got a 50% grant to help me buy mine and I think it's the best thing i could have bought to help my business along.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...