tips from business owners!

Czlowiek Drzewo

Thought i would start a thread regarding the business side of tree work.

Any tips from Business owners.? Anything from Marketing, accounts, quotes and of course growing a successfull business, lesson learnt etc.

I'll start from obvious ones - Do everything is writing, makes quotes detailed and have terms and conditions on your quotes. ..even the nicest client can turn sour and if your quote doesn't state exactly what needs done they will try to get more work done.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a plan - are you going to just do treework? Logs as well? Milling?

Then try and stick to getting what you need for that plan.

As above it's easy to see something shiny and run after it with a handful of notes....

Eg I bought a van mounted platform. Had it for a year, cost £1,500-00 insurance + all the other costs and it didn't reach that high - I prob used it 20 times.

I could have hired a local tracked platform for when I needed it cheaper, better machine, much less hassal :blushing:

Take your business bank statements for the last year and add up ALL your outgoings, (you can do this on line and export it into an excel sheet to add it up if you know how, just don't ask me) then divide that figure by 200. this gives you an accurate break even day rate figure, then add £200 to that and you have a proper day rate.

It breaks my heart when I see how cheap some of the people on here work, If you are one of them, take heed, you will either end up giving up and going back to work for someone else or leaving the industry altogether. This is a great job and you should be able to make a decent living from it, if you are one of the ones who posts up that you are saving up for a new rope, hitch climber, chainsaw or other small piece of kit THEN YOU AREN'T CHARGING ENOUGH.

A two man team should turnover 80k minimum, any less and you are doing something wrong, if you work part time or look after your kids some of the time thats different, but if you are out there working full time then you should be making a decent wage.