urgent help with hedges in a conservation area

yourm9

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree that some LA work different to others. I was just going on my own local area when writing my post;

The Environment act 1995

The hedgerows act 1997 schedule 4

This act is used mainly for ancient hedgrows with a minimum age of 30yrs but it can come into force in urban areas and have known it to come into force on some occasions under one of the eight criterias that must be met before refusal is given!

You will be surprised what some, not all LA's pull out of the bag if they really want to play ball!

Surely A 10mtr high Laurel would raise some kind of concern to a reputable tree firm! Thats all i am saying really and better to protect oneself and of course future time wasting with reply letters etc! The job we do is hard enough as it is without taking on the LA over a Hedge:001_cool:

Surely A 10mtr high Laurel would raise some kind of concern to a reputable tree firm! Thats all i am saying really and better to protect oneself and of course future time wasting with reply letters etc! The job we do is hard enough as it is without taking on the LA over a Hedge:001_cool:

I'm not sure now (I've lost the plot) but I think the laurel hedge under discussion was 10m long, not 10m high....but I stand to be corrected.

I've been reading up more on laurel, and it seems it is often a tree. Also hedge 'shrubs' like laurel that have been unmaintained for a long time can then become hedge 'trees'. And once it's a tree than a TPO CAN be put on it, but not on the hedge as a whole. So you could have TPOs on several or all hedge trees within the hedge. UK hedgerow legislation | hedgelink - working together for the UK\'s hedgerows - is interesting.

I think after so long in this business noone except the actual person who makes these legislations knows the true facts! There is always small print somewhere and even the planning deptartments or tree officers are often confused! A costly lawyer and court case often comes up trumps:confused1:

Yippe!!! no shopping day for me but plenty of earache now

Blimey, I've got a headache after reading that lot (previous posts). I've done loads of voluntary work in a SSSI site but as it is LA owned, we just get on with it. The Laurel that was to the right of the track was removed by contractors last year. Re growth is already evident.

59765fcef10e3_DaffswoodsSurveystuff021.jpg.194c75b94dd453f2c171274a1aaf8d8b.jpg

HOW???????????

Please tell us what legislation the LA use

to prevent the cutting of a hedge or shrub in a CA.

I am not saying the LA would or even could do this but, I know a hedge in a posh part of Wolverhampton that has a 'covenant'.

How that works exactly and what the consequences would be I have no idea:confused1:.

I am not saying the LA would or even could do this but, I know a hedge in a posh part of Wolverhampton that has a 'covenant'.

How that works exactly and what the consequences would be I have no idea:confused1:.

1. LPA - landscape condition (usually considered 'defunct' after 5 years) is an option

2. Private covenant, as Bob says, placing restriction on what a property owner can, or cannot, get done without paying a fee to a fimr of solictors who usually buy them up to cream off permission fees (I had to get one to convert my garage to an office...'the garoff', and it cost me £90...aghhhhh!!!!)

3. No other restrictions I'm aware of.

Cheers..

Paul

About five years ago we felled some semi-mature sycamores on a secondhand car pitch. No TPOs or in a CA. We also cut to ground a short length of hawthorn hedge (approx 3m x 2m tall) which was in very poor condition. Before we could finish the hedge we had a visit from TO who then proceeded with an emergency TPO on three remaining stems of approx. 2m tall x 75-100mm thick!