Universal stumpgrinder

Mr Ed

Thing is,anything motorised mounted on the end of a dipper arm of a digger gets bashed to shite.Mechainised harvesting heads being a good example,how much horsepower would you need in a power pack to run a head like the one pictured on your grinder by hydraulics?

That grinder has 38 hp. To rrun a comparable system with hydraulics, youd need about 55hp, plus a big resorvoir + a cooler. Also, to get the best performance, a high quality bent axis piston motor is essential, as gear motors such as fitted to the Predator grinder and cheap hedgecutters are crap.

A good piston motor alone would cost more than that Kohler engine.

I know what you say about stuff getting battered, but its primarily designed for machines 1 - 2.5 tonnes.

I am fitting one to a 3 tonner end of this week, I'll get some more video.

Whats it like for vision, like most grinders it looks to me like a case of feel your way through the stump?

How hard would it be to convert the whole machine, and grinder to remote control? only a thought...:embarassed:

What do you think Ed for compact tractor users, mount the grinder on the 3 point linkage or front end loader?

On the mini loaders, vision is poor. not terrible, but not great.

What is easy to do is hop off the machine and use it like a conventional grinder in a very tight spot. (controls are easily accesed from the right, and you have the tele boom)

It would cost a fair bit to convert to remote, not really worth it.

It would be easier to use a machine on the 3 point linkage lee, or you could even have fittings for front and rear.

Looks good Ed, I thought the same thing about vision, and about feathering the controls. If its hard to see the stump does it not make smoothly grinding out the stump hard?

Still i'm sure a good loader driver could easily handle it, and our operator has a deft touch.

And i'm sure some of the anal types would not like the idea of operating the controls of the loader from the side of the machine?!