Treescape - NZ

Hi guys this is mainly a question for any kiwis or anyone who has worked for treescape in New Zealand. I am currently coming to the end of my Foundation Degree in arboriculture and I wanted to work here in the UK gaining some experience before going out to New Zealand to work as a tree surgeon in December/January.

When I asked my lecturer if he had any contacts in New Zealand he recommmended treescape.co.nz as a good company.

I was wondering if anyone had worked for this company before and what they were like.

I have CS30,31,38 and 39 and was wondering if there were any other skills/qualifications which would make me more employable.

Any advice/help would be great.:thumbup:

Big outfit, lots of gear. Expect to be just a number and be worked into the ground. I don't want to sound like I'm slagging them off, I'm not. They have some great guys there but they already have a lot of their bases covered as far as good climbers. Out in the wopwops, not so much. They do a lot power line clearance and have several municipal contracts a landclearing division, railways contracts and heaps of other stuff. You should have no problem getting a job if you know your stuff (same applies with Asplundh) and you'll never be short of options but don't guarantee on getting the best position and top dollar. Last time I looked they had over 150 staff in NZ alone and they do some huge jobs (check out their website) but like I say, they can afford to turn staff over at a fair rate of knots.

As far as skills; if you get on the right crew you should learn quite a bit. In fact, you'll be expected to learn and quickly. Some of the guys there are top notch climbers so there is the possibility to get some good experience but again, it boils down to which area/crew etc you get on. They are always advertising on trademe, as are Asplundh. I've worked for both outfits and personally I'd tip Asplundh over Treescape but not by a lot.

Theres a vacancy at the company i work for in Wellington.... let me know if your interested, could sort something out

Hey Craig yeah for sure, im just building up my network of contacts in NZ at the moment, whats the name of your company? Do you have any more details, either let me know on this or send me a PM.

Cheers

I work for Treescape wellington is being 2 years. They have different branches everywhere. Big company with money to buy you good gear. The crew here in wellies is pretty sweet. All good workers at the moment and good boss as well. Its a big variety of jobs. I am the foreman for the resi crew... one day you do normal resi work (reduction, thinning, trimming, dragging), next day you taking down big pines with digger and big chipper.. next day you are rigging a big tree or just felling.

Good fun over here. But remember, its always depends what skills you have and which crew you are in. There is always vacancy here in wellies.