Bar and Chain for Stihl MS 250

derwen

Hi,

I do a lot of conservation work with our local rivers trust. They have a Stihl MS 250 and has been used for well over 6 years. The bar at the moment is 40cm (16"), however we have a large tree down over a river and are looking to increase the bar size to cope with the large diameter of the tree. Can anyone advise what is the biggest bar that can be fitted. We don't want to buy a bigger saw for what will be limited work. If I go to a bigger bar and compatible chain, will I need to change the sprocket as well. I have the necessary CS tickets. Thanks

Thanks for quick reply. The pitch is .325".

An 18" bar would be fine as it gives me an extra 2".

What is the diameter of the trees? It doesn't seem worth the money and effort of new bar and chains for an extra 2 inches.

You can easily fell and cut up trees with a diameter of 32" using a 16" bar. And if you rarely have to deal with trees of that size, don't bother with the longer bar.

What is the diameter of the trees? It doesn't seem worth the money and effort of new bar and chains for an extra 2 inches.

You can easily fell and cut up trees with a diameter of 32" using a 16" bar. And if you rarely have to deal with trees of that size, don't bother with the longer bar.

...Maybe he wants to cut 36" diameter. :blushing:

Thanks for trying to save me money. The problem is the tree has fallen and is across the river, with one major branch on the river bed, which is ok as it will be left to form a weir. We are looking to remove the upper branches. The majority have been cut back and now have some about 16" diameter (main limbs). The problem is I can only stand in the water upstream of the tree and cut. The water is too deep to go down stream and put another cut in from the other side. So an extra 2" would help. Unless there is something obvious I'm missing - in being able to cut 16" from one side, any help appreciated.

Thanks for trying to save me money. The problem is the tree has fallen and is across the river, with one major branch on the river bed, which is ok as it will be left to form a weir. We are looking to remove the upper branches. The majority have been cut back and now have some about 16" diameter (main limbs). The problem is I can only stand in the water upstream of the tree and cut. The water is too deep to go down stream and put another cut in from the other side. So an extra 2" would help. Unless there is something obvious I'm missing - in being able to cut 16" from one side, any help appreciated.

OK, I understand. If you reach over the trunk and make a cut with the bar vertical (on the far side of the trunk) first, and subsequently pull the saw towards you end proceed to cut with the bar horisontally, you'll easily cut a 24" trunk with a 16" bar standing on one side of the trunk.

Let me know if you don't follow the directions, and I'll try to post a drawing.

If you reach over the trunk and make a cut with the bar vertical (on the far side of the trunk) first, and subsequently pull the saw towards you end proceed to cut with the bar horisontally, you'll easily cut a 24" trunk with a 16" bar standing on one side of the trunk.

Let me know if you don't follow the directions, and I'll try to post a drawing.

Have a look at this drawing (imagine yourself on the left hand side)...

If you reach over even further, you can cut even thicker trunks

IMG_0770.jpg.986f2ded503c184518179a8b3bed53c2.jpg

Edited by morten