Calling all Honda owners, past & present.

Gnarlyoak

Hi Peeps,

Considering purchasing myself a new set of wheels. Have seen online a decent looking Honda Civic 1.6 VTEC Sport. Was keen on going out to give a once over, but got put off when I rang the dealer to check a few details and was informed that the mileage was 115k.

The car is almost exactly 7 yr old on a 54 plate. 115K on 7 yr old car seems a bit steep, it works out on avg. 16.5K per annum. I don't know the history, but the dealer claims it has a FSH, although he could'nt confirm if they had all been done by a Honda garage.

Question is, just how reliable would a high miler Honda be? Are they bomb proof if its been looked after properly, or is it best to avoid............?

Any anecdotal stories, pros & cons, that you can advise to help me decide if its worth pursuing further would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Tricky

Hondas are a renowned for there reliability, but being that much mileage would be look with caution, a test drive is always good any strange noises don't bother, make sure the engine temp gets up and then listen, also the usual rust on chassis and under body is good. Depends on previous owners driving aswell if it was ragged like stink it will sound rough and not worth it, it was dRiven by a granny then it will be a slow engine, I like Hondas mowers and quads but don't like there cars.

With any used car or truck I always take the vehicle to my mechanic. I also make sure that my mechanic is not to chummy with the dealership the vehicle came from. If it came from a private owner same thing. Honda's over here when well maintained last for 100'000 plus Miles and still going strong. Normal maintenance is the key. Also we have a service called Car Fax over here and it can provide for a small charge the history of the car for inspection.

easy-lift guy

Civics will just run and run if they are serviced well, there's some in Japan with over 450.000 on the clock (read a review on pistonheads)

115k mileage wouldn't bother me, I'd rather have a well serviced 100k engine than a poorly serviced 50k one.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.443391,-2.080492