Greenheart - what do you know about it?

Rob D

I've recently got hold of some greenheart from some old pier pilings.

What I've found so far is, it stinks, it's almost as heavy as steel!, it's blunting to a chainsaw, the Peterson mill does well with it, it burns like coal.

I've looked over the internet and I can readily find info on it's strength, weight etc but is it a 'safe' wood to sell to people to burn or to burn myself?

The splinters can go septic easily and the wood seems to be classed as toxic.....

One interesting fact is "75-80 pounds per cubic foot, and about 64 pounds per cubic foot (1030 kg/m3) when air-dry"

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would describe it exactly as you have Rob, the piers around here got renewed over 20 years so, it's the first wood I ever cut up.

Locals used it for firewood and beams for houses.

Skelfs are hellish, smells bad but it is amazing stuff.

So fine to sell as firewood you think? I'm going to be milling a lot of it but I reckon there'll be a fair bit of firewood as well. It burns almost like coal :laugh1:

greenheart, african hardwood, naturally resists rot, often used for lock gates, pilings and harbour walls, very flexible, worth a fortune. wood turners and timber furniture guys love it, also any body with wooden rubbing strakes on machinery, only slightly less dense than lignhum vitae, dont burn it Stephen, get it advertised , it is litterally worth its weight in gold!!!!. ps they used to build top sections of fishing rods out of it