Advice needed

yhglandscapes

Hi, ive got my CS40/41 coming up in 9days time.

Is there anything i need to be practising or reading upon before these courses.

I'm relatively new to tree climbing, so just got my own gear together and been going out each day for an hr over last week. Plan on climbing a tree a day next week too, just to get more fluent in the trees.

I've recently bought "The art and science of practical rigging and climbing" and "the tree climbers companion"

Got my CS32 2 weeks after but on this i feel i'll learn what i need to on the course (To pass atleast!)

Hi dont forget the course is for training you dont have to know everything before you start the trainer should take into account your ability and adjust the training accordingly its a pruning and rigging course.

Just get used to being off the ground and on spikes the rest will come over the training period.

Above all enjoy the crack!

Make sure you've got a couple of tool-clips/caritools on your harness so you've got plenty of spots to clip on pulleys, lowering-lines, saw, etc. Without mine I would have found it hard keeping things organised. The more your stuffs organised up there, the less stressed you'll be, and the better you'll do.

Take up a spare prussic/split tail so you can haul up the end of your climbing line and make a secondary/supplementary anchor if needed. This will help you get out to the arse-end of difficult branches if you need to. However, chances are you won't be given a hard tree to do on your assessment, but you may get pushed a little on the course.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice and tips guys

Had the assessment friday and passed. 40/41/45

Had some moments! through the week but got my head around them in time for the assessment. Big thanks to the trainer and also to other participants on the course.

Learnt loads and put certain parts into practice saturday, up in the tree as it started to snow, loving it ;-)