RIKO Farmi Mastersplit wp36

farmer_ben

Thank you for the offers of assistance - it's much appreciated.

From speaking to a friend yesterday who puts a lot of timber through a WP30, the best conclusion is that the bar and chain were in poor shape from the outset. Whenever he hires out his, it's a new bar and chain each and every time. This wasn't the case with mine, in addition to which I think that the engine isn't 100% as it was labouring more than you'd expect.

Either way, I do think that the ram was insufficiently powerful (which seems to have been addressed with the new machine) as it jammed many many times. I'm back into the hire company today with a chipper, so I'll chat to them about it then.

Hi Guys,

Big J

Not a problem and please let me know how you get on. Give me a call while you’re in the shop if you get stuck on anything technical. If the engine isn't running at full capacity then the splitter will also be struggling or bogging down.

About the guards

HSE did approve the Farmi’s without the need of any guarding around the splitting chamber a couple of years ago. So the old machines do still meet the regulations. This is because the operator cannot reach, or get involved with, the chamber while the machine is being operated.

As the new guards arrive into us already fitted we are obliged to sell them attached. We have sold machines to repeat customers who say they are a pain initially but they do get used to them after a while.

Some businesses, particularly with staff, hire shops and local authorities; see the guards as an additional favoured precaution

Other modified features would be,

• Farmi WP36 has been fitted with a double pump system for around 3-4 years. There are only a few single pump WP36 machines out there

• The winch belt for the conveyor is now on the 'engine side' of the machine. The original machines had them on the 'controller side' up over the splitting chamber on a bar. We now no longer bang our heads 3 or 4 times during a demo

• A later favourite would be the bar options. The older models had a traditional Oregon bar with a little 'wedge' over top to help the cut. This has now been replaced by a thicker harvester style bar which seems to last a lot longer

• Splitting lever option, which can be retro-fitted, has been quite popular. These basically transform the machine into a splitter with conveyor.

• The saw motor now has an updated 'cast flange'. These are is a lot stronger and durable than the original aluminium ones

• The WP30 machines are now fitted with the same WP36 bar giving them the 14"/36cm cut too. The pump, splitter and other main components have remained the same.

These modifications haven't happened over night of course. Just over the last few years

I hope this has been helpful :001_smile:

Calum

• 3 months later...

I was wondering if anyone could help. I have a WP36 and need to top up the hydralic oil Do i need to use any paricular type of hydralic oil in it, could anyone recommend a good brand and a reasonably priced supplier?

Should I empty the tank and refill with new/clean? I've had it 1 yr, second hand and it was 3/4 full when I got it.

You should be topping it up regally as it uses the hydraulic oil for the chain lube. If it's not using oil make sure it's oiling the chain properly. The pump is actuated by the action of the movement of the bar so just remove the bar with the machine off and pull the lever to see if oil appears. ISO 32 is what you need but cant say I shop around just buy what our agricultural supplies sell.

• 8 months later...

I have an issue with my wp36, which I wonder if anybody can help me with?

Plan to have a proper look at it when I have time over the next few days, but somebody here may have had the same problem which would make my diagnosis quicker...

Last couple of times I have used it, I noticed that the infeed conveyor (ie the metal plate underneath the uncut log that feeds it towards the saw) is jamming frequently after splitting the cut logs. It only returns when I lift it at the operators end.

Seems to me that there is more play in it than there should be. When you look along the infeed plates ("pull table" it's called in the manual) there is a gap along the middle where the two plates meet in a V. This gap is at least twice as wide at the infeed end than it is at the cutting end, so the plates are not parallel, which I'm guessing is causing the jamming.

There's a steel plate at the infeed end that I'll need to remove to get a proper look at what's going on. I'm hoping that I will just be able to tighten something up but, as I say, would appreciate hearing from anybody else who might have had this problem.

Thanks!

If the in feed is sloppy crawl underneath (when turned off :lol:). You will see two nylon cubes with a bolt through them with a steel plate between on the centre line of the processor. These are the guides and do need occasional adjusting. Undo the bolt and turn the nylon cubes through 90 degrees. Makes sure the in feed is fully down and tighten the bolt between the cubes while making sure they are in the uppermost position possible.

Hope that makes sense when you get underneath :001_smile:

If you go back to page 2 on this thread, you'll see some pictures I posted of my wp36. If yours looks like the first pic, then you may have bent the infeed plate and will need to either replace or straighten and reinforce.

Thanks, yes that looks like the problem I have. No log lift on mine, I think the damage was caused just by dropping heavy logs on the platform. Seems like a bit of a design weakness as others have had the same issue. I reckon I'll straighten it and weld on a bit of angle iron to reinforce. How did you get on with yours? Was it a lot of work to take apart and put back together?