RIKO Farmi Mastersplit wp36

farmer_ben

I wonder if any of the readers on here could help me withja slight problem with my petrol wp36. When extending the ram to split a log, the ram on occasions isn't returning automatically back to the start position. I've oiled all the visible moving parts which seems to help a little but hasn't solved the problem! Anyone had a similar problem and fixed it?

Cheers

At least 3 possible reasons here: http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/maintenance-help/101631-farmi-mastersplit-wp36-ram-sticking.html (junk in the splitting chamber, lack of lubrication, or a broken valve)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help on this issue chaps! I haven't yet got the bottom of the problem but I hound hat id it set the matching on a slightly uphill gradient the problem was minimised! I got this years cutting done so it's a fix that has been pushed down the job list! When I find out what the problem is I shall report back

Cheers

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Highlandcrofter said:

Hi all, wonder if anyone has come across this issue, I have a farmi wp 36, it has just started squeaking really bad. i have swapped around the nylon block so no play in the bed but still squeaking. i have a call into Reko to see what they can suggest.

Thanks

Usual cause of squeaking is the scrapers that are under the box of the ram. A quick squirt of oil sorts it fine

• 2 months later...

Looking to buy one of these machines but I'm not close to any dealerships to see one first hand and there are none in the used market.  I'm trying to gage the build quality and component size of this things.  What is the thickness and width of the splitting wedge?  From the videos I've seen it's hard to get a scale of things as it appears its only 1/2" (12.7mm) thick and 5" (127mm) wide.  Anyone have any close-up photos of the underneath of the slot of the splitting blade to see how it is reinforced to the main body. What is the square size of the splitting ram and how long is the shuttle bed.  Does the ram slide steel on steel or are their plastic pads somewhere?  If anyone has good photos of the underneath of this machine would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance to all.

15 hours ago, BennettMD said:

Looking to buy one of these machines but I'm not close to any dealerships to see one first hand and there are none in the used market.  I'm trying to gage the build quality and component size of this things.  What is the thickness and width of the splitting wedge?  From the videos I've seen it's hard to get a scale of things as it appears its only 1/2" (12.7mm) thick and 5" (127mm) wide.  Anyone have any close-up photos of the underneath of the slot of the splitting blade to see how it is reinforced to the main body. What is the square size of the splitting ram and how long is the shuttle bed.  Does the ram slide steel on steel or are their plastic pads somewhere?  If anyone has good photos of the underneath of this machine would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance to all.

Tricky to get pics from underneath mine as it's on a trailer and most of what your looking for is hidden or very much in the dark.
Here's a link to a manual for an older WP36, essentially the build is the same as the newer ones.

If your worried about longevity of the splitting blades and surrounding supports there's really no need to be; they are engineered to tolerances way and above what a 10t ram will exert on them.
Weak things on the processor that could do with beefing up would be the base of the conveyor where the hydraulic motor joins the base roller, a bracket between the bearing on the right side and the mounting plate for the motor on the left side  takes away any unwanted movement .  
Another potential trouble spot is the log lifter arm getting stuck under the splitting ram chamber if you don't get into the habit of dropping it manually before returning the ram.  Damage in here can be pretty serious, i.e a bent in-feed plate ...... not common, but certainly common and easier to avoid than to fix.
All in all it's a decent machine that does what it says it can do, but as with all machines it won't last forever if it is being asked to do more than it was designed for.
Had mine for three years now and it's had  close to 1000t through it with only minimal down time.  I hire mine out, with or without an operator, so it gets a variety of skill levels from operators.  It's survived them all with minimal damage.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqoq1qc77x7yvvg/MastersplitWP36EN.pdf?dl=0

16 hours ago, BennettMD said:

I think Bilke user has pretty much covered it.

Dont worry about the blades as they are as tough as old boots. Done orrible things to mine and its survived it all. The support behind the blade does get worn over time (picture below) and I have had a bit of weld added there and ground flat but it's seen many 1000 tonnes so no biggy. Weakest points I would say are the flap on the end of the conveyor (picture below). I bent mine and shortened it to lessen the loads on it. I think the new ones are far more reenforced though. There is a big gap between the roller and the conveyor and wood can easily drop down here but myself and others have fitted an extra roller to solve this (picture below). As said make sure you drop the log lifter manually as if you let it fall on the return the arm can bounce up and wedge up under the conveyor and cause major damage. Paint is poor but it seems common on the lower price processors. Heard a dealer moaning about the paint on the Japa so just something to keep and eye on if you are road towing it on salted roads in the winter. The ram does slide steel on steel but seems to work fine. There are nylon sliders underneath to stop it lifting in the stroke (picture below). They all have there bad point and I would have no hesitation in recommending the Farmi WP36. I looked at the APF but in this price range I cant see anything to touch it for speed and simplicity with smaller wood and as you can see from the ring it can split some decent sized timber.

DSC06974.jpg

DSC06971.jpg

DSC06970.jpg

DSC06975.jpg

DSC06976.jpg

DSC06977.jpg

Edited by Woodworks