Husqvarna 440e bar oil output

Ashes_Firewood

I've got a Husqvarna 440e with 18" bar, only 3 months old.

When I was using it this weekend it was smoking from the bar, getting far too hot. Is it possible to adjust the bar oil output rate? Had a look in the manual and it doesn't tell me anything?

It's using the bar oil so it's going somewhere, just not on the bar?! The chain is really dry. If I run the saw near to a piece of wood to see if any oil flicks off there's nothing.

I've had the sprocket cover off and cleaned it out but doesn't seem to have made a difference. It's been fine up until now so not sure what's happened.

Be grateful for any ideas/advice. Thanks.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds wrong to me, the bar should flick out oil when the saw is revved flat out.

Firstly, remove the bar and then start the saw and see if you get oil coming out of the oil channel on the bar mount that sits alongside the bar, if you do, the blockage is in the hole that allows oil from the saw oil channel flow in to the channel between the bar rails. The hole is a small one near the edge of the bar where the chain sits and around 2-3" from the base of the bar.

If there is no oil coming from the saw - don't believe this is so as you are consuming oil, you may need to strip the oiler down or flush the tank but let us know what you find.

I've got a Husqvarna 440e with 18" bar, only 3 months old.

When I was using it this weekend it was smoking from the bar, getting far too hot. Is it possible to adjust the bar oil output rate? Had a look in the manual and it doesn't tell me anything?

It's using the bar oil so it's going somewhere, just not on the bar?! The chain is really dry. If I run the saw near to a piece of wood to see if any oil flicks off there's nothing.

I've had the sprocket cover off and cleaned it out but doesn't seem to have made a difference. It's been fine up until now so not sure what's happened.

Be grateful for any ideas/advice. Thanks.

I had this on a 235e, I am fairly sure the 440 is the same design.

The problem lay with the moulded rubber oil track that sits under the steel guide plate.

The bar nut had been overtightend, which deformed the plastic around the oil track and colapsed the track when it was tightened, stopping the oil flow

It would flow when slack but stop when tightened.

Husqvarna knew of the problem and supplied a harder rubber track.

Might be worh a word with your dealer if this sounds the same.

I've just had a look, started it up without the bar on. Oil does come out as it should do so at least it's not the oil pump that's the problem. So I've cleaned the groove in the bar out and made sure the hole in the bar is clean. I'm sure I did that last time but I'll test it out tomorrow and see if that's sorted it. The saw dust that came out of the bar groove was really oily so perhaps it was blocked up with saw dust, I hope it's something as simple as that.

I will have a look at what you're saying too GardenKit.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how I get on.

I had this on a 235e, I am fairly sure the 440 is the same design.

The problem lay with the moulded rubber oil track that sits under the steel guide plate.

The bar nut had been overtightend, which deformed the plastic around the oil track and colapsed the track when it was tightened, stopping the oil flow

It would flow when slack but stop when tightened.

Husqvarna knew of the problem and supplied a harder rubber track.

Might be worh a word with your dealer if this sounds the same.

Would this be the same on a 236, as I am having this problem too? :001_smile:

Still no oil getting on to the bar.

I didn't buy my chainsaw from the local Husqvarna dealer - will I be able to take it there and get it looked at under warranty anyway? I presume it'll have a warranty with being so new...

Your local dealer may not want to undertake warranty work on a machine he did not provide so you may have a little trouble here. In any case you will need your proof of purchase before any warranty will be considered.

I have just checked the 440 ipl and my initial idea was wrong as the oil pipe is different to the 235 I had trouble with, so sorry for the misinformtion.

Providing you purchased the saw from a similar authorised Husqvarna dealer, you are the original purchaser and you have your original purchase receipt, then your local authorised Husqvarna dealer has a contractual obligation with Husqvarna to support their products that have been third party purchases (ie from another dealer)

All Husqvarna dealers have to agree to do this as part of their dealership agreement and may/will/can be terminated if they do not offer this support.

Naturally if the fault is down to "pilot error" on your behalf (poor maintenance, misuse etc) then your dealer will charge you for any repair, although they should inform you of these costs before progressing.