Australia is it really worth it??

Hi all, me and the mrs are thinking of going over next year for a working holiday. can any one give me advise on finding work, do i look for work once i'm there or do i find work before i go? what equipment do i take with me or do i buy over there? what are the standard of work ethics in OZ and what do they expect from workers i.e level of qualifications and how many years experiance? how do i go about getting sponserd and the best places to find work? sorry for all the questions guys just what to paint a picture in my mind be for i go. many thanks for reading, regards western:001_smile:

Hi Western

ok age is a biggie, how old are you?, this will dictate what visa you can get,

work is easy to arrange if you here, but saying that i'd call/ email companies in the area you want to try, OZ is very diverse and choosing the right place is essential or you may not enjoy your stay as much, as for kit saws wont go through customs as they will carry wood dust they will probably get confiscated, or you get a big cleaning bill, climbing kit is fine, make sure its clean, i'd get a new bag to carry it in, less chance of them wanting to investigate, Sydney has lots of tree companies and they all work there nuts off, tree work here is hard, coz everything is bigger,

work ethics are different shall i say, i bought new hi flex trouser out with me, now its way to hot to wear them so i wear work trousers ,or board shorts if not climbing and its the norm, but if you get caught not wearing safety glasses workcover will jump down your neck:confused1:

qualifications is a strange one, they dont recognise NPTC, but if you attend a college they will recognise your time spend and you can do a trade recognition test through the T.R.A,

so

if your under 30 or in your 30th year get a working holiday visa, get out here and get working

if your over 30 then sponsorship is you best and quickest way, a 457 business visa is the one

now , the aussie immigration people change there standards, and demand lists like the wind

last time i looked Arborist was not on the SOL list but ..... it falls on another list that is limited to the number of applicants in each state... i think...

go to immi.gov and have a look at the sol list, its a huge list of every job the country is short of skilled workers

cant remember the name of the list i got through on but basically its a kind of loop whole where Arborist is under gardener so i didnt need to do a skills assessment through the TRA

it all sounds very complicated but its not search sydney tree companies and you'll see how many there are, treeworld website is excellent and its where i found my job, chap called eric is the founder and he will answer you questions , if not someone will

steve

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup:

Hi Western

ok age is a biggie, how old are you?, this will dictate what visa you can get,

work is easy to arrange if you here, but saying that i'd call/ email companies in the area you want to try, OZ is very diverse and choosing the right place is essential or you may not enjoy your stay as much, as for kit saws wont go through customs as they will carry wood dust they will probably get confiscated, or you get a big cleaning bill, climbing kit is fine, make sure its clean, i'd get a new bag to carry it in, less chance of them wanting to investigate, Sydney has lots of tree companies and they all work there nuts off, tree work here is hard, coz everything is bigger,

work ethics are different shall i say, i bought new hi flex trouser out with me, now its way to hot to wear them so i wear work trousers ,or board shorts if not climbing and its the norm, but if you get caught not wearing safety glasses workcover will jump down your neck:confused1:

qualifications is a strange one, they dont recognise NPTC, but if you attend a college they will recognise your time spend and you can do a trade recognition test through the T.R.A,

so

if your under 30 or in your 30th year get a working holiday visa, get out here and get working

if your over 30 then sponsorship is you best and quickest way, a 457 business visa is the one

now , the aussie immigration people change there standards, and demand lists like the wind

last time i looked Arborist was not on the SOL list but ..... it falls on another list that is limited to the number of applicants in each state... i think...

go to immi.gov and have a look at the sol list, its a huge list of every job the country is short of skilled workers

cant remember the name of the list i got through on but basically its a kind of loop whole where Arborist is under gardener so i didnt need to do a skills assessment through the TRA

it all sounds very complicated but its not search sydney tree companies and you'll see how many there are, treeworld website is excellent and its where i found my job, chap called eric is the founder and he will answer you questions , if not someone will

steve

Thanks steve, it seem's like a lot of hoop jumping but i'm sure it'l be worth it in the long run. i think i'll try and find some work before i come over. i've heard from a friend of mine that they can be very strict with the equipment in regards to how clean it is. i'm 27, gunna be 28 when i come over.

what is it like to work for your company? did you find the job out there or did go to oz spercificly for this job your in now? thanks for the help mate means alot regards sam

2 questions to ask yourself:

In 20 years time, how badly are you going to regret not going?

Now - how bad is the problem if you go and it's a mistake?

eg - I would go, but my kids would stay here with their mum. For me, now, it's better to stay here with my kids. No regrets.

If the kids were out of the equation, the only issue would be the financial cost...well, I'd accept that risk and go for it. You regret most the things you don't do.

what is it like to work for your company? did you find the job out there or did go to oz spercificly for this job your in now? thanks for the help mate means alot regards sam

We're a small family run firm, basically the operational side is justin and myself as management with 2 teams of cutters,

we have 2 women in the admin side,

we work hard, but pay over the average wage as we found out from benr on here, ben came to work for us and he will give you an honest opinion,

i like working here and ive gone through my fair share of companies as a cutter to a project manager.

being a small firm we have tight budgets so as you can imagine it can be pretty full on at times, i have learnt so much in the short time here and done some of the biggest tree's in my career, if your not shy of hard work you'd love it here

the life you can give yourself here especially in the northern beaches is fantastic so to have this life i dont mind doing a good days work.

i will be biased as im management but my director justin is a firm man but very fair and if you'd like to come over and have a go your more than welcome

We're a small family run firm, basically the operational side is justin and myself as management with 2 teams of cutters,

we have 2 women in the admin side,

we work hard, but pay over the average wage as we found out from benr on here, ben came to work for us and he will give you an honest opinion,

i like working here and ive gone through my fair share of companies as a cutter to a project manager.

being a small firm we have tight budgets so as you can imagine it can be pretty full on at times, i have learnt so much in the short time here and done some of the biggest tree's in my career, if your not shy of hard work you'd love it here

the life you can give yourself here especially in the northern beaches is fantastic so to have this life i dont mind doing a good days work.

i will be biased as im management but my director justin is a firm man but very fair and if you'd like to come over and have a go your more than welcome

Thanks for all the advise mate, sounds like your having the time of your life:thumbup1: i'm really looking forward to coming to Australia, i've just had enough of working in the UK, after spending 14months in austria it's really openend my eyes of the world of arb, just gutted i had to come home, done some really intresting work out there and some really big stuff proberly not as big as oz but hey it was fun:thumbup:

if you don't mind is it possible to send you my details (c.v )

Sorry for hijacking your thread brothersgrim.

Regards sam:thumbup:

I often noticed that hard earned paperwork is not suitable in OZ and people in all lines of work have to go down a scale and retrain. Not sure the reasons?

Hi do you mean NPTC's , you can get them converted but it does cost quite a bit, before i came out i thought that they were world wide recognised but not the case,

i dont really understand why they dont accept them because when you look at the TAFE cert 3 arb course it basically follows the same as all my NPTC certs, i guess it must be a money spinning excessive